Best laminate underlayment for the money?

Old 09-07-08, 04:04 AM
Best laminate underlayment for the money?

I am preparing an installation of laminate flooring on a concrete slab in my basement. What is the best underlayment for the money? I don't mind spending more money if the extra money gives proportionally better sound deadening and a better moisture barrier.

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 08:48 AM
Floor Muffler is by far the best underlayment for sound deadening with a laminate floor. If you tape the seams with duct tape it provides a vapor barrier as well, but for below grade like a basement, i would also use a layer of 6 mil poly under the pad and run it up the wall an inch or so too.

Old 09-10-08, 01:25 PM
Roofing paper. It deadens sound better than a flooring moisture barrier, and it also acts as a moisture barrier (it's primary purpose), and it's the cheapest option besides 5mil drop plastic.

Our hardwood was installed on it about 5 years ago (with roofing paper), and there haven't been any issues at all. However, this was on the ground level.

Old 09-15-08, 04:30 PM
Absolutely, under no circumstances should roofing paper be used as a pad over concrete, as it will not provide adequate vapor protection or sound deadening for a laminate floor.

Old 09-15-08, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I must agree.....no roofing paper should be used.