I'm at a hang-up installing this floor - overhang/corner/stairs.

Old 09-08-08, 07:51 PM
I'm at a hang-up installing this floor - overhang/corner/stairs.

Putting down some 3/4" solid hardwood, got a good chunk of it done, but, I'm stuck now.

This is the point I'm at. I have a split-foyer entry, and I need to install the top stair nosing (3" nosing, not full stair treads), as well as the nosing that will be on the living room overhang on the right side of the picture. I have already cut them at a 45* angle on the ends, and am grooving the ends with a biscuit joiner (jointer?) to put a large biscuit in there. I have PL400 to glue it down with. Will I need to put a couple nails in too to hold it down?

The other question is addressing the areas in red. Previously there was molding there that met up at that top corner, but it was carpet, so it didn't really matter. I'm pretty sure I need to put molding back up there to keep it from looking ugly etc.

Regarding the molding that's going to run along the living room floor edge, is that going to go BELOW the nosing, or BEHIND it? Not sure exactly how to tackle this.

Hopefully these pictures clear up the issues and confusion I'm having.

This is the other BIG problem:

Take notice at the big hollow area at the top of the stair riser under the corner. Somehow, I'm going to need to fill this in? Am I best to just cut a block of wood to fit it the best I can, then fill in all the gaps with some sort of wood putty, sand and contour? I'm going to need something under there to support the corner too.

Am I supposed to install the board at the top of the stairs, then, install the one running along the edge of the living room (right)? Or, am I best to glue the corner together with the biscuit, square it up, let it dry, and install them together to ensure a sure 90* corner there?

The floor was TERRIBLY uneven, necessitating me to shore up that edge with the roofing strip. Which of course makes the adjacent corner piece even more out of whack.

Also not sure how to use molding to transition from the riser to below the nosing.

I just don't know.

Pretty frustrated, not sure what to do. This is holding me up from finishing up the rest of my living room.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-08, 07:56 PM

Old 09-08-08, 08:12 PM
...and since everyone loves pics this day and age, here's some of what I've got done so far...

I just want to finish it!