Face nailing 3/4 hardwood with nail gun

Old 09-10-08, 02:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Face nailing 3/4 hardwood with nail gun

Hi;
Its been a long time since I installed a hardwood floor but I'm about to do one again. Wondering if finish nail guns are used these days instead of face nailing /setting nails by hand (with drilled pilot holes).

Will the wood split if I use a finish nailer? Will the surface be marred? Is it a generally bad idea?
Thanks
Jack

Old 09-11-08, 03:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
It is better to use a floor nailer..... but I have used a finish nailer with good results on small jobs. I use a block of scrap flooring and a hammer to get the piece tight against the last one and then toe nail it thru the tongue. I usually face nail a few and then fill the nail holes during the finishing process.

Old 09-11-08, 07:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marksr;
Thanks but I guess I wasn't clear. I will use a floor nailer (probably rent one) to do the main body of the floor. My question was specifically about face-nailing the 1st few and last few courses where you don't have room to use the floor nailer.
I remember hand nailing (& setting) these last few courses and constantly worrying about the hammer head glancing off the nail and gouging the beautiful new floor. Was thinking a finish nailer gun might avoid that problem but was asking if they aren't used for some other reason (like do they mar the surface of pre-finished floors? or can you split the plank using a gun?) thanks jack

Old 09-11-08, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I have split oak with a nail gun before but generally it does fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: