Home Depot Laminate Flooring: this any good

Old 09-13-08, 09:17 AM
Home Depot Laminate Flooring: this any good

Hi all,
well I just bought my first home a month ago and the whole thing needs updating. Im starting with the kitchen.

I was in Home Depot yesterday and picked up 330sqft of Laminate Flooring. Usually I do my research 1st then buy, but it was the color and the price I wanted. $2/sqft without padding. Padding is extra.

For my kitchen and dining room its was about $750 for the flooring and $200 for the padding so in total about $950.

The flooring is made by LEGEND which I found out is a home depot brand. It says 30yr warrenty.

I took a key to the laminate sample piece and it stayed strong. I then took my knife and it made a mark(DUH). I havent tried denting it yet though.

Anyone bought/installed any of this flooring at all?

Its a mahogany and its beautiful. My soon to be wife loves it too. Just wondering how the flooring might hold up in the future against water, drops of pans etc.

Hows install. I understand the concept and seems to be easy but this will be my first
Any help would be great.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

Are you sure it's laminate and not engineered mahagony? I don't remember us having Home Legend laminate when I was there, but they were bringing in new flooring when I left.

Laminate is pretty durable though. I have the Pergo Harvest Chesnut, and it's held up excellent. I got two big dogs, and two young kids to boot.

I also put some of the felt pads on the bottom of the furniture to prevent any scratching.

If it's the snap n lock type laminate, it will not be to difficult to install. It took two pro's 8-9 hrs to install 400+ sqft I had installed, so figure in it taking more for you.

Old 09-14-08, 08:29 AM
if thats the same HOME LEGEND stuff i bought, and then returned. its not good, looks great, but dents REAL easy. my test = click one box together. then get an office chair and roll on it. when i did this, there were deep ruts in it. i returned it. i have now installed TARKETT GENSIS. this stuff laughs at my chair test. i have chairs that have wheels on them, much like office chairs.

Old 09-15-08, 07:51 AM
thanks for the response guys.
It is the laminate that clicks together and I hope it isnt the stuff that dents easy.

I wont have any rolling chairs since it will be going in my kitchen/dining room but if it dents easy maybe a dropped pot or a thrown toy from my kids(in the future) would dent it.

Would a picture of the package and product help?

I should do my own dent test huh?

thanks guys

Old 09-15-08, 04:30 PM
Legend or Legends?

I think Home Depot has two flooring products with the name of Legend(s).

I am looking at the mahogany "Legends" brand. $1.99 sqft.
The full name of the brand is Legends (TM) - Diamond Finish - Premium Laminate Flooring. Not to be confused the the Home Legends brand.

Can you tell me which one you are working with?

It looks great at Home Depot on display, and it's a good price. But it was not a brand I had heard of, and there is no website or anything listed on the box.

Also, I did notice a slight bubble on one of the planks. Is this bad, or do some boxes have bad pieces?

Thanks and good luck

Old 09-17-08, 09:30 AM
Yes, what im talk about too is the 1.99 sqft. stuff
The other site I found close to legend is this
http://www.legendflooring.com/
but i thin kits just hardwood and not laminate

The 1.99 sqft stuff does have a 30 year warrenty

Old 09-17-08, 01:29 PM
I don't know about that specific brand, however there is a consideration about laminate flooring some people don't think about -- where is it going to go? Not specifically which room, but what will be under it. I bought a house with a half basement and a previous owner had installed laminate in a room over the crawlspace part of the house. There is no moisture barrier in the crawlspace, so the laminate absorbed it through the floor. Laminate floor is basically made from particleboard, which swells very badly when it gets wet (the laminate finish will keep it safe from spills if they're cleaned up right away). So if you are building over a crawlspace or a wet basement, it might not be the right floor for you.

Old 09-19-08, 07:37 AM
I just bought a townhouse and funny that I am actually looking at the Legend Royal Mahogany that is $1.99 per sq. ft. Home Depot does carry both Legend and Home Legend brands. I think the "Legend" might be the lower brand because they are a little cheaper. I wonder how is the quality difference too. However, I like the color and style, but it seems to have a shiny finish compare to similar Thomasville and Pergo woods. Did anybody install it and notice if there is a glare or too reflective? Any other complaints or good impressions?

Also, I'm planning to have it installed in the dining and living room area. Currently it has ceramic tiles. Can the laminates be placed over the tiles with no major issues?

Old 09-20-08, 01:08 AM
Update:

Ok, I just got one box to try it out as test sample. It looks nice for the price. Little darker than I expected (maybe it's the area I'm placing in doesn't have a lot of sunlight). It is a little bit shiny glossy look, compare to other laminates/hardwood with matte finish.

It does leave smudges and faint fingerprints but with a towel swipe, it's clean. Will that become an issue to clean frequently for smudges, fingerprints and footprints? Tomorrow I will bring my chair and wheel it around to see any dents or scratches.

Most likely I will still get the whole set and have them installed. Any feedback or advice before I dive in?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-08, 06:50 AM
miloo,
sounds like you have the same stuff I bought. I have yet to put it in so im not sure on the quality. It is dark, which I like but "she" brought up a good point yeserday. Dark floors show dirt and dust. BUT for the price, i dont mind cleaning a little bit more often.

The laminate is going in the kitchen and dining room and is above a full size dry basement.

Old 09-20-08, 07:59 PM
rugsr and miloo,

I have actually been looking at the exact same stuff!!! Thanks for some of that background info, as I was unsuccessful also at finding anything online about it. I just bought a box of it today to try and get a look at it in the house. We wife and I really like it, but I do have some questions like you said about how the glossiness will look when installed. When you guys finish your project, I'd love to see some pictures of the finished project if you would be willing to share. Keep me posted on you guys' progress as we are still debating the "need" to put it in.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-08, 05:01 AM
Hey guys,
Well I opened a box up and did a strength test on it last night. I took a 10" pot, decent in weight with a "sharp" edge on it and dropped it from counter height onto the flooring. It put a decent scratch in the plank which was many shades and stood out like a sore thumb.

i have pics which ill include later.

Old 09-24-08, 04:46 AM
Hey guys,
heres some pics I took

A pot was dropped from counter height and made a mark like this.
Is this normal?
Do all laminates chip like this?
Do they make harder laminates?
this was only $2 a sqft so maybe something like $5-$6 wouldn't chip.

What do you guys think.

Old 09-26-08, 07:34 AM
Hello,

I just purchased this same exact laminate for our kitchen because I loved the color and shade plus it was inexpensive.

The mark in the pictures from the pots looks bad of course, also I don't know how well higher brands would withstand the same exact impact.

I know that I have never dropped anything while in the kitchen ever on the floor sans maybe a few plastic bowls or steel spoons. Never anything extremely large or heavy or dishes. So basically the whole chip thing really isn't a concern for me and our kitchen.

My parents bought some somewhat cheaper laminate for their kitchen. I helped install it and its around the same quality if not worse than the Legend stuff and has held up pretty well in over a year now.

So I feel for the price I love the color and the look

Old 10-05-08, 05:54 PM
Red face looking for valley walnut flooring

I recently installed Legends Valley Walnut flooring from Home Depot in the whole upstairs of my house. It looks beautiful and so far it has already stood up to some spills. I'm glad you told me about the office chair so I can put down a pad for protection.

I have a BIG problem. I am short three boards from finishing my office. If anyone has some spare boards they want to sell me, please email me at EMAIL NOT ALLOWED! called every Home Depot in the area and no one has any left.

PLEASE if you know anyone that has an extra box to sell, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-09-08 at 02:44 PM. Reason: removed email address. Spam prevention
Old 10-05-08, 08:15 PM
glossy finish of flooring

Has anyone found the glossy finish on the flooring to be annoying. I have a family of 10 and want to put the laminate in my front room. It doesn't get much traffic. But I do would be willing to give up a little quality for the color and price.

Old 10-05-08, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by luvmysnookie View Post
I recently installed Legends Valley Walnut flooring from Home Depot in the whole upstairs of my house. It looks beautiful and so far it has already stood up to some spills. I'm glad you told me about the office chair so I can put down a pad for protection.

I have a BIG problem. I am short three boards from finishing my office. If anyone has some spare boards they want to sell me, please email me at REMOVED. I called every Home Depot in the area and no one has any left.

PLEASE if you know anyone that has an extra box to sell, let me know. Thanks!
is that the pretty dark stuff, for $1.99 sf ? if so, my HD has a bunch of it.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-09-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 05:51 AM
Legend Laminate Flooring

I purchased & am installing the Legend Diamond Finish Laminate flooring in our bedroom. Installation is pretty easy, just some intricate cuts around doorways. My problem & question is, they don't seem to make transition pieces for this flooring, I had to find some from another laminate floor that's close in color but, far from a good match. Has anybody found or seen transition pieces for Legend Diamond Finish Laminate Flooring anywhere?

Old 10-09-08, 09:04 AM
I bought the same laminate flooring about a week ago and I'm installing it myself in about 2 weeks. I think that the product looks fantastic even though the price was pretty cheap. I've never installed laminate. Im just doing my living room so I shouldn't have any tricky cuts to make. Does anyone have any idea of how long it should take me to install about 250 ft? I'm kind of on a schedule and I need to know how much time I need to leave myself for this project. Oh, and please post pics when you have your floors fully installed. Thanks!

Old 10-11-08, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
is that the pretty dark stuff, for $1.99 sf ? if so, my HD has a bunch of it.
Condo-Owner, what is the location of the Homedepot? zipcode would be good, if not, city name?

Old 10-11-08, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
luvmysnookie...
IIRC
Unless they have drastically changed the system, any HD can check the stock of any other HD on their computer, you just need the SKU or UPC and the store number of the store you wish to check. You can get the store number from the HD website "store finder". The service desk or flooring people should know how to go into the system and look at any stores inventory.

The computer isn't always accurate, but it might keep you from having to call 20 diff stores long distance, get xferred to the Dept, wait for someone, etc, etc.

Just a thought.

Old 10-11-08, 08:31 AM
Yep, stores can check local inventory of stores in their area. If there quantities say less the 10, I would have the store call and check. Inventories are usually always wrong.

Old 10-11-08, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Hey Mark...
There used to be a place in the system that you could check ANY store. I remember checking FL, IL, and ME stores from VA. Hmm I think you needed ASM access though, come to think of it.

You had to go in and set the store number to the stores you wanted, not the regular check local stores function.

All the DH's and senior Specialty people knew it, even if we weren't supposed to.

But yeah, a call to one store in the area desired and a helpful person might be simpler.

Old 10-11-08, 09:20 AM
The lady that owned the home next door, got married and moved to Boston. She rented the home out for 2 years. She wanted to put it up on the market and asked me if I could install new flooring throughout the home to get it ready for sale. She ordered the carpet out of Boston Mass, and had it ordered at a local HD here in Austin, Tx for me to pick-up and install.

Old 10-12-08, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by luvmysnookie View Post
Condo-Owner, what is the location of the Homedepot? zipcode would be good, if not, city name?
it is in CHICAGO RIDGE IL. corner of ridgeland and southwest highway. good luck.

can you post a pic of your floor ?

Old 10-12-08, 06:24 AM
oh, btw. this stuff(assuming its the same flooring) IS NOT in the isle with the other wood flooring. its on an endcap about 3 isles down, maybe 80-100' from the service desk. just in case the workers can not find it (i have had that happen)

Old 10-12-08, 06:15 PM
update and transition pieces...

I bought about 150 boxes of the Royal Mahogany floor, Legends brand, and have installed about half, took 2 weekends so far. I'm installing upstairs in bedrooms and the hallway with a vapor barrier going underneath. It's pretty easy really... but I have never found transition pieces that go exactly, but I took a piece to Lumber Liquidators and they sell transition pieces that you can stain to match, or they have one that is very close, so close the people who have seen it in our house don't notice. Felt pads on the bottom of furniture is key, but we were use to that from the real hard wood we have in our downstairs. It does look very pretty! It's a great project, just takes longer then I expected...

Old 11-26-08, 11:30 PM
transition strips

I had 500sqft of this stuff installed a month ago from home depot in colorado springs. HD actually ordered the "fast trim" 5 in 1 pieces from the company for my job. It looked great.
we went with an installer because of many tricky cuts. Installer was really impressed with the product and amazed at the price. Made me feel good since I figure he probably has seen a lot of flooring. Couple problems I have run into all the edges come waxed so when the floor is installed it "seals" the seems...wax is hard to get off and if you don't wipe it down the seems show and collect dirt. Also, it is super hard to keep clean everything shows and I haven't found anything yet that works to keep the surface clean and shiny without streaks or film.
Originally Posted by ken09 View Post
I purchased & am installing the Legend Diamond Finish Laminate flooring in our bedroom. Installation is pretty easy, just some intricate cuts around doorways. My problem & question is, they don't seem to make transition pieces for this flooring, I had to find some from another laminate floor that's close in color but, far from a good match. Has anybody found or seen transition pieces for Legend Diamond Finish Laminate Flooring anywhere?

Old 11-26-08, 11:39 PM
Rubbing alcohol should remove wax. Vinegar/water or ammonia/water solution tend to be effective cleaners for plastic laminate. Clean a section at a time with mop squeezed nearly dry. Toss down old towel and rub back and forth to dry and prevent streaks before moving on to next section. Avoid using cleaners that leave residues and dull the finish.

Old 11-28-08, 10:36 AM
I just got 400 sq ft of the royal mahogany too. The sales rep there said he could order transition pieces for it when I'm ready. I'm sure it will go in fairly easy, but right now I'm fighting squeaks in the sub floor.

Old 11-28-08, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Hey Mark...
There used to be a place in the system that you could check ANY store. I remember checking FL, IL, and ME stores from VA. Hmm I think you needed ASM access though, come to think of it.

You had to go in and set the store number to the stores you wanted, not the regular check local stores function.

All the DH's and senior Specialty people knew it, even if we weren't supposed to.

But yeah, a call to one store in the area desired and a helpful person might be simpler.
haha, I'm over a month late on this one. I asked a few times if a customer could order something at our store and pick up at another, and the answer was always, NO. Now, I would call a store and see if they could hold something, but normally I didn't even do that because the customer would never show up. If a store called me and asked me to pull something for a customer, I would never do it until they came. The worst is when a customer would call asking me to cut blinds, then I do it, then they never show up...... Anywho, sorry for the ranting.

Old 02-03-09, 09:49 PM
Legends laminate flooring

We just purchased and installed the Legends diamond finish Royal Mahogany floor from Home Depot. It was easy to install and looks great except everytime any thing rolls over the floor there are scuff marks. We rolled a light weight baby portacrib down the hall and there are marks. We moved a chair (with magic movers on the legs) and there are marks. They look like scuffs, you can't feel any indentation but cleaning it does not remove the marks. Does anyone know how to remove these marks?

Old 03-02-09, 09:40 AM
Thumbs up Love it!

We purchased the Legends Royal Mahogany Flooring from Home Depot and have installed it in our soon-to-be nursery. We absolutely love it! It looks real, and thus far we haven't scratched or damaged it. I tried scratching it with a pair of sharp scissors and wasn't able to make a dent. Then I told my husband to try it in one corner and of course, he pressed with all of his might and put a little scratch in it. Using that much force would have scratched pretty much any surface, regardless of quality.

One nice thing is that because this flooring is so thick as compared to other laminates, you can go with the cheapo underlayment and save a bundle. Being the ever frugal shopper, I ended up shopping around and purchased some underlayment online using froogle.com (I think the company was called Direct Floors or something, and it was $15.00 instead of Home Depot's $25.00).

Anywho, this is the first major home renovation my husband and I have done, and had absolutely no experience whatsoever. We're even complete novices using power tools (other than 7th grade shop way back when), so if we can do it, anyone can. We watched a few how-to videos on youtube.com which was really helpful. Once the carpet was ripped up and out of the way, we swept and vacuumed really well and the underlayment was fairly easy and quick to put down. The baseboard was a major pain to get off and we ended up breaking almost every piece, even after we tried breaking the seal first with a utility knife and using a putty knife to help pry the board from the walls as was suggested on some forums.

Then it just came to figuring out which corner to start from and cutting the end pieces and using a jigsaw to make more intricate cuts around the doors and closets and ripping a few pieces on the end walls. My husband did a great job on the intricate work, which did take a bit of time - for us at least. The floors look absolutely gorgeous and so expensive and real. One of our friends actually commented that they look exactly like her parent's 70-year-old real mahogany floors and couldn't believe the price.

We're in the process of moving some baby furniture around in there and haven't scratched or damage the floors yet. I even accidentally dropped a hammer from the closet about 7' off the ground, and dropped a box of the heavy flooring down from about 5' off the ground, and it didn't do anything to the floors either. I've heard a few people post how easily these floors scratch and dent, but maybe we got a better batch? I'm not sure. So far, so good.

Here is a link to some pictures of our floor. Keep in mind there is a lot of saw dust on the floor when we took the pictures, so they're actually a lot cleaner and shinier now.

|| storment.net ||

We plan on completing the upstairs and will add new baseboard eventually, but I'm pregnant and need a break for now. )

Old 03-03-09, 11:16 AM
Legends Diamond Mahogany

Does anyone have any extra flooring or know where I can buy some? Our Home depots do not have any left and said they cannot order some.
I bought 9 boxes and I think |'ll be short 3 or 4 planks.
If you have an extra box or planks Please let me know.
Thank You.

Old 03-26-09, 09:26 AM
Legends Diamond Mahogany and Valley Walnut

I just installed about 400 sq. feet of Legends Valley Walnut in two upstairs bedrooms that will see little traffic. Not sure I would have put this product in a place where it would see more use, but I've put down super-cheap laminate before and this felt like better stuff. It was in the back of my local Home Depot marked down to $0.75 per square foot, and with a 20% off coupon I bought on Ebay it came to about 60 cents per. Along with the three or four boxes of Valley Walnut that I didn't but, they also had one box of Diamond Mahogany left as of about 10 days ago. That store is located in Waynesboro Virginia if anyone needs more product. I'm pretty sure its still there, that store is like a ghost town. I have one box of the Walnut left as well.

Old 04-10-09, 05:21 PM
Legend Brand Junk

We had the Legends (TM) - Diamond Finish - Premium Laminate Flooring installed in our kitchen. It is made by Faus Floor Inc. After only one day we noticed it marred and scratched easily and would not hold up to even walking on it wearing shoes. We sat on a light kitchen chair and it left a large dent in the floor, and we are not large people. We had laminate flooring in our previous house and after seven years there was not a scratch on it. This was after having a seven year old roller blade across the floor and owning a 100 lbs black lab. The only advise we can give is Do NOT buy this product. We contacted the company and they stated the floor was scratch resistant but not scratch proof. We can attest that the floor is not scratch resistant and the company does not stand behind the quality of their product. It is junk and should not be sold as flooring.

Old 04-21-09, 05:56 PM
Where did you buy the Legends flooring from? We thought we were buying Faus Floor and it came as Legends from Home Depot where we where told Faus Floor was a division of Dupont. We paid like $4.28 sq. too.