Engineered Floor.... can I stain over poly?

Old 09-17-08, 01:59 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered Floor.... can I stain over poly?

Hi,
I just installed an engineered floor (my second) and was pleased with the outcome. My wife, though, thinks it is too light and would like it stained in something darker, like a pecan. What must I do to get a good smooth result? The floor was prefinished with several coats of polyurethane.
Thanks.

Old 09-17-08, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Prefinished engineered floors USUALLY cannot be refinished (Check with manufacturer). Refinishing requires the floor to be sanded down and the poly and stain removed. Engineered floors have a very thin layer of vaneer wood, and a sander will burn right through it. You also cannot add stain on top of the poly. I'm affraid you are stuck.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 09-17-08 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-17-08, 04:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,183 Upvotes on 1,141 Posts
You could add a tinted poly on top of what's already there.

This is tough to do and have the finish come out even and should also be covered with a few coats of untinted poly on top of it.

My suggestion is to see if your wife is willing to give it a couple months to see if she gets used to it and hope you can get by with not having to do this.

Old 09-18-08, 11:30 AM
No, you cannot stain over poly. You must sand down to bare wood for the stain to absorb into the wood fibers.

Beer 4U2

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 09-18-08 at 03:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: