Laminate for squeaking/creaking

Old 09-22-08, 09:39 AM
Laminate for squeaking/creaking

I havs some 12mm Laminte floor with 2mm foam already attached to it layed down in my living room. I installed it last January. Then in around 6-7 months later i have 4 spots that creak/ squeak when you walk over it and its driving me crazy.

I have all the exspansion joints around the entire room, the floor was quite level except for a few spots I had to sand down and they dont squeak around that spot.

Where i live its very dry in the winter when it was installed and still pretty drive in spring/summer when the creaks started happening. I do NOT have a humidifier in my house.

Any suggestions? If the floor was un even should it have taken 6-7 months to start making noises? It was so good for so long.

Please let me know what you think as this is drivign me crazy now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-08, 05:43 AM
Installed in the dry season with expansion space. Now it is the humid season and you have creaking. This tells me the laminate has grown, with the added moisture. The expansion space that was once there, may not be there any longer. The pressure is compressing the edges, and when you walk on it it squeaks from movement, as it may be trying to buckle. Your stepping on the slightly raised area(or you wouldn't have movement) and it is flexing down and the edge pressure squeaks, like a Turkey hunting call.

Old 09-23-08, 07:40 AM
The entier perimiter around the room still looks the same gas as when it was installed.

Could the floor be uneven and then 6-7 months later it atcually starts squeaking?

Old 09-23-08, 07:24 PM
How did you check the expansion space and it is still there? Did you ever put baseboards or trim molding up?

If you have noise, you have movement up and down, with edge compression.

Old 09-24-08, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
How did you check the expansion space and it is still there? Did you ever put baseboards or trim molding up?

If you have noise, you have movement up and down, with edge compression.
I never put baseboards as thats this winters project as i am doing the entire house in one shot, summer was spent rebuilding the outside with a beauitfull cedar fence and deck.

So why would it take that many months to start making that noise, why wouldnt it squeak right away or after a week or so?

So what do i need to do? Pull her up mark the spots that squeak and level?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 09-24-08, 05:57 PM
Do you have any real heavy pieces of furniture sitting on opposite walls from one another? Like fully loaded bookcases? Piano?

If not you have a low spot that is moving and just individual plank swell has the side tighter then the less humid time of year.

Old 09-25-08, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
Do you have any real heavy pieces of furniture sitting on opposite walls from one another? Like fully loaded bookcases? Piano?

If not you have a low spot that is moving and just individual plank swell has the side tighter then the less humid time of year.
Nothing really heavy no, guess i need to pull it up and fix these low spots.

Old 09-30-08, 09:04 AM
If i pull it up and fix low spots should that cure the problem? What would be the best way of leveling?