Do all Laminates chip like this? PICTURES INSIDE!!!

Old 09-24-08, 04:53 AM
Do all Laminates chip like this? PICTURES INSIDE!!!

Hey guys,
I bought this laminate from hope depot for $1.99 a sqft. I love the color but I dont love the scratch a pot made from counter height. Should this be expected from any laminate or just the cheaper stuff?
Should I really be spending $5-$6 a sqft and get something from Armstrong, Pergo or Dupont?
Please tell me what you think
thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 05:17 AM
a test install. thats what i did, took me 5 tries to get what i wanted(well, close to what i wanted).... anyway ..... my HD has that laminate, and it looks real nice. i went with the tarkett red oak natural engineered.

your question. i am no pro, by any means. but i think you would be getting practice at touching up dents, if you went with that stuff.

Old 09-24-08, 06:36 AM
thanks for your response

so are you saying Armstrong, Dupont, Pergo or someone else might make something stronger then the $2 sqft stuff.
HENSE, why it cost $5 sqft?

Id rather spend more money now and do it once. Then save money and be kicking myself later.

Old 09-24-08, 12:31 PM
You tend to get what you pay for. It is best to go with a major manufacturer who offers good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price.

Better and best levels of quality tend to have finish additives that make for greater resistance to wear. No manufacturer offers a warranty against dings or dents or abuse, but higher quality products tend to have higher density substrate materials that are more ding and dent resistant.

Better and best levels of quality tend to offer thicker layers of the surface laminate and may include deeper penetration of color to make scratches less visible. Darker floor colors tend to show scratches through color more. This is because beneath the colored surface the material is lighter.

Higher quality laminate tends to offer greater moisture resistance. There are waterproof laminates available. Higher quality laminate tends to have backing that offers greater resistance to warping.

Compare apples to apples in construction quality, warranty, and price.

Old 09-25-08, 09:01 AM
thanks for your response guys...
i think i might get something worth more.
last thing i want to do is kick my self in the butt because i tried saving 500-1000 dollars and the floor is already installed.
been there done that with the car...
i think ill learn here and take it back.

Old 09-25-08, 09:55 AM
Thanks rugsr for your "lab" demostration! He he, sounds like time to bring out the touch up paint. Makes me wonder if I should buy the Legend wood too. I will look around to see if there are other companies that make good quality laminates for about $2/sqft. That's my target price. If not, I think I will be happy with the HD Legend Maghony and have decent durability expectations.