Tips on installing engineered hardwood over concrete

Old 09-30-08, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips on installing engineered hardwood over concrete

I've decided to tackle installing engineered hardwood myself. I got glue-together, floating engineered wood. The floor is concrete. I also got a moisture/sound barrier subfloor, which is of the thin, foamy type.

I've bought some books and read a whole bunch on here, but I would still appreciate a few pointers:

1. Do I need any additional sub-floor? I read somewhere that I need a minimum of 3/4" plywood subfloor. Or do I simply put my moisture+sound barrier subfloor over the concrete?

2. What's the best power saw I should get for cutting? I think that a Miter saw would be good for the short cuts. But how do I make the long cuts (ones parallel to the long side of the wood), for the last row of wood at the edge of the wall? I don't really want to get a table saw (don't really have the space to store it afterward). How well would a jigsaw work?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-08, 06:03 PM
just put your barrier on the concrete as per instructions.

i used a jig saw to make my long cuts.

tip : DO NOT use warped boards ! (sort them out and put them under furniture or in closets). my instructions said it was ok, so i did. now, i have high spots that make noise when walked on. i HOPE they settle out. my luck says they will not.

Old 10-02-08, 07:16 PM
Thanks! Yes, I figured the jig saw might be the best bet.

Another silly question: how do you mount/clamp the wood when using the jig saw? I imagine that the long form-factor of the wood will make it tricky for holding it down tight, and I can't seem to figure out how I can do that.

Old 10-04-08, 07:30 AM
a table saw and jig saw, is the best way. but i don't have a table saw, no room to store it ......i just layed it on a 2x6, and cut away. not the best way, but it worked for me. the cuts are hidden, so its not a big deal.