kitchen remodel

Old 10-02-08, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen remodel

My wife and I are in the model of a kitchen remodel. We are debating on what flooring to go with in the areas around the kitchen , I.E family room, new hearth room, informal eating area next to & connected to kitchen.

Presently there is glue down laminate in the family room that leads to kitchen, new hearth room & informal eating area. We are going to put slate down on the kitchen and would like to do real hardwood "over" the laminate in the other area's.

I've tried to take some of this old laminate up and whatever they used to glue it down is doing its job. When removing pcs of it I'm also taking small chucks of concrete up with it.

So my plan is to leave it down rough sand it sheath over it with some 3/8 ply with intermittent gluing and concrete nailing through both the ply & laminate. Lay down the vapor barrier and then put down new hardwood.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-08, 04:48 PM
when you say laminate, you are talking about engineered hardwood, right? What are you using to remove the wood?

If going through all that does not cause major height issues with the transition to slate than it is a viable option. You wouldn't need to shoot nails into the concrete. If the wood is down as good as you say, you can staple it to the wood and be fine.

Old 10-03-08, 05:12 AM
tool selection

wide bar wonderbar & 5lb hammer. Never seen anything like this before. I'm getting quarter size to 1 1/2 diameter pcs.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will squip the concrete nails and just go with staples.

Old 10-04-08, 01:51 AM
A lot of engineered used for glue down is only 5/16" or 3/8" thick. If that's your case those staples won't have anything to bite into. You might want to revisit those concrete nails.

Old 10-04-08, 12:52 PM
How would you use concrete nails without destroying the tongue of the wood? predrill each hole?

Old 10-05-08, 08:20 AM
how about renting a power scrapper ?