Removing rubber carpet pad fused to hardwood

Old 10-05-08, 08:52 AM
Removing rubber carpet pad fused to hardwood

We pulled up our carpet to find a rubber pad that is fused to about 80% of the floor. On the edges it had dried and is like glue or crumbly, in the center it's sticky, foamy or gooey and only comes up in places.

Is there anything I can use to get it up without ruining the hardwood floors underneath?

We have hardwood sander guys coming tomorrow and we are also wondering if 1) they can sand it up? 2)If we should just cancel with them and get it off ourselves and leave the floors as is.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-08, 11:27 PM
Have your floor contractor get rid of the stuff. He's probably done it before.

Old 10-06-08, 09:25 AM
Well, the floor guy came over today and looked at the pad and started whineing. He called his dad (who he works for ) and decided he did not want to do our floor. I guess it would be too much work

We called another company and they are coming tomorrow so we will see what they say.

Old 10-06-08, 09:59 PM
That is frustrating. Though you probably wouldn't have let him do it if he told you what he would charge you to take it off. You'd be calling through the phonebook to get other prices. Try some mineral spirits and see if that loosens the adhesive. I have a list of the progression of chemicals to use on a wood floor so as not to damage the finish. Though you are going to refinish so starting a bit higher on the list won't matter. I will post it tomorrow if you still need it.

Old 10-07-08, 02:54 PM
Cleaning Progression on finished hardwood floors.

pH nuetral cleaner 1:7
floor cleaner 1:5
recoating solutions
mineral spirits
denatured alchohol 1:1 *
denautured alchohol (full strength) *
Acetone 1:1 *
Acetone (full strength) *
Sand and Finish *

* can change the look of the finish

Old 10-17-08, 01:07 PM
wondering what worked

hi
was reading through postings and read this one and was wondering what you found to have worked. i have a posting more recent - we had pulled up carpet and pad and there is a light coat of i guess some type of glueing remaining over entire wood floor and want to try to get it off without ruining the finish on the floor.

Old 10-17-08, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by cheryli View Post
hi
was reading through postings and read this one and was wondering what you found to have worked. i have a posting more recent - we had pulled up carpet and pad and there is a light coat of i guess some type of glueing remaining over entire wood floor and want to try to get it off without ruining the finish on the floor.

Good luck with that!!

In my vast experience, what every you do is going to damage the finish, so you might as well bite the bullet and have the floor sanded to bare wood.

Old 01-21-13, 09:39 AM
Removing rubber padding from hardwood

There is no one answer for every floor. The type of finish on the floor and the ingredients used to make the non-skid pad are important to know, but if you're feeling lucky try this:
Use an old wash cloth and soak it in hot water. Wring it out and lay it over the residue of the floor. Allow it to soften the rubber-like material (which may actually be made from vegetable oils) and then scrub the floor with the same cloth. Obviously, you can only do a small section at a time but my results were very good and reasonably quick.
Good luck!

Old 01-21-13, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Bill:

Welcome to the forums. Just wanted to point out you responded to a question asked more than four years ago.