1)no instructions 2)old floor glue

Old 10-06-08, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1)no instructions 2)old floor glue

Two questions this morning...

1) I picked up about 1000 sq ft of the new floor and there are no papers in the boxes (instructions, warranty, etc...). I purchased the floor through a Flooring America store and this is a "private label" for them. Does that mean that I have no warranty?

2) We are removing about 200 sq ft of glue down engineerind floor that is about 8 years old and are floating the new floor. What needs to be done with the old glue? It is still pretty sticky so it's not something that I can scrap up. One installation company told me there is a "floor prep" that I can spread over it to seal the glue. Anyone ever use something like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-08, 11:45 PM
1) yes you have a warranty. You just don't have instructions. Call them and find out who manufactures the wood so you can call them and receive proper instructions. Don't take the advice of the salespeople if they try to explain how to install it. Get that manufacturer and call them. They are happy to give installation help over the phone.

2) Is this on concrete or wood subfloor? I'm assuming it's concrete because you tore engineered out and still have a floor to have glue attached to. You can scrape the glue with the right scraper. You need a short handled scraper with 4" thin blades. Get on your knees (if you weren't already) and scrape in an arcing sweep across your body. This angles the blade to slice through the adhesive instead of ramming it straight on. I hope that made sense. Change your blade often to keep a sharp one going. I've not run into any adhesive that won't come up with that method.

Usually people have much too large a scraper or a stand up scraper that can't get that level of removal the small ones can.

After all that- you could just use painters plastic to throw down over the top of the adhesive. This would not take the place of the underlayment/moisture barrier you were going to use anyway.

Old 10-07-08, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Arkon View Post
1) yes you have a warranty. You just don't have instructions. Call them and find out who manufactures the wood so you can call them and receive proper instructions. Don't take the advice of the salespeople if they try to explain how to install it. Get that manufacturer and call them. They are happy to give installation help over the phone.

2) Is this on concrete or wood subfloor? I'm assuming it's concrete because you tore engineered out and still have a floor to have glue attached to. You can scrape the glue with the right scraper. You need a short handled scraper with 4" thin blades. Get on your knees (if you weren't already) and scrape in an arcing sweep across your body. This angles the blade to slice through the adhesive instead of ramming it straight on. I hope that made sense. Change your blade often to keep a sharp one going. I've not run into any adhesive that won't come up with that method.

Usually people have much too large a scraper or a stand up scraper that can't get that level of removal the small ones can.

After all that- you could just use painters plastic to throw down over the top of the adhesive. This would not take the place of the underlayment/moisture barrier you were going to use anyway.

Dang!!! Finally someone that actually knows what to do.

I think I'm going to like Akron!Peeping On U2

Old 10-08-08, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Arkon View Post

Thanks for the help! That's pretty much what I figured, but I probably would have gone the route of a long scraper (being on my knees is getting old fast). Oh well, a little more work won't hurt me and I think the end product will be well worth the effort. Thanks again.

Old 10-08-08, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
I think I'm going to like Akron!Peeping On U2
Hahaha! i'm sure we can find something to argue about - what good is being on a forum without a nemesis. how about need for tackstrip removal? hehehe

Old 10-08-08, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by lajones View Post
Thanks for the help! That's pretty much what I figured, but I probably would have gone the route of a long scraper (being on my knees is getting old fast). Oh well, a little more work won't hurt me and I think the end product will be well worth the effort. Thanks again.

Those long wide scrapers are basically useless, unless your removing carpet pad glued around the edges.

You have no leverage with it, the wide head doesn't get a bite, it will just ride over the old adhesive.rogram: