More questions about laminate flooring

Old 10-10-08, 10:49 PM
More questions about laminate flooring

Can you only get an AC rating of 4 or 5 with HPL?

Also I read one article that stated an AC rating of 4 or 5 may be uncomfortable to stand on and may cause holes in your socks.......but then I read other articles that say the higher the AC rating the better.

I'm replacing a carpeted living room and another carpeted room we use as a playroom. I hope I'm making the right decision going from carpet to laminate.

I am looking for something durable that can withstand children. My daughter is going to spill things--can a laminate flooring withstand that?

I thought I had my search narrowed down to:
armstrong--the american duet collection
but there is SO much info out there I'm getting confused. I read some things about pergo "select" being the best but I'm having a hard finding it (is this being discontinued??) The AC rating I believe was 5 but I think it only comes in the square and not beveled........

I feel very overwhelmed. GI2

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 12:07 AM
Honestly, puting a laminate in a living room you really don't need to be concerned with high ac ratings. I think you have a case of too much information and you just don't know what to do with it all. Any of the higher end lams will work great for what you are doing. You want a floor that will take childrens abuse and still look good right?

As for complaints about wearing socks and uncomfortable standing. I have never heard anyone complain about laminate being uncomfortable. In fact one of it's selling points has always been the comfortable walk. Wearing socks can absolutely happen on rougher textured lams. Wilson Art classic i can testify to first hand will will wear through socks. But so will the textured porcelain tile i have in my bathroom. This is not a good reason to not do it, in my opinion.

stay with the well known brands; QuickStep, Pergo, Mannington, Armstrong, there are many well known. And buy the high end ones that offer moisture warranties. These lams will do better with spills. Some high end ones do not offer moisure warranties when the have beveled edges so look for the ones that do.

Pergo is in transition a bit right now. They were purchased last year and have been changing ther lines around quite a bit. Lots of drops and add-on and renaming. They make a great product currently and i would say select is one of the better products on the market. But claiming any laminate is the best would be almost impossible with so many brands and catagories to be the best in.

I hope half of that made sense. I'm on my way to bed.

Old 10-11-08, 01:07 AM
Thank you for the super fast reply and helpful info.

So.........just out of curiosity.....if you had a choice....which you pick:

1) Pergo Select
2) Armstrong American Duet Series
3) Wilsonart Red Label

Keeping in mind living room area and kids. Something that can handle spills etc.

And yes.....I have too much info packed in my head LOL GI2

Old 10-12-08, 08:38 PM
Wilson Art Red Label. Then Pergo select. Then Armstrong.

Note these are personal opinions of quality and reliability. Ask someone else and they may put them in different order. And honestly Wilson Art and Pergo Select are so close in my opinion it would only come down to look. I don't like some of the red label bevels and think they look really fake. You'll be happy with those brands. Buy with confidence and don't look back!

Advice you didn't ask for: Now make sure you buy the best acoustic underlayment your can find. Underlayment is cheap and makes a big difference.

Take off you baseboards and lay the floor under, then put your base back on. Quarter round is a hack way of doing it. IMO Undercut your door jams. Only use quarter round when you absolutely have to.

Old 10-13-08, 12:11 AM
Thank you! Have never done a floor before so this will be the first time......I will take any info I can get.

Since I live in a very cold climate.....what would be a good underlayment......one with the most R-value for insulating. I'm not worried about noise because my living room floor is over a 7 block crawl.

Old 10-13-08, 12:15 AM
question--you mention that some of the wilsonart bevels make the flooring look fake.....do you feel that way with all bevels? Are bevels not a good thing?

Old 10-13-08, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't say round as a hacks way, it does have it's place. All the old homes that I have been in, and I mean old. There was always round. These homes built back before the 1900's had big round and huge thresholds between each room.

Todays contemarary looks, have tried to do away with round, but in bigger installations, and needing more expansion space, undercutting sheetrock or plaster, thick base boards and the use of round is needed to make it work.

If you have skinny baseboards, the addition of round, makes you lose a lot of base and does look funky, compared to wide/tall baseboards.