Old carpet padding stuck to hardwood flooring.

Old 10-11-08, 10:02 AM
Old carpet padding stuck to hardwood flooring.

I took on a small project to tear out some carpet out of a house to take advantage of the beautiful hardwood floors that have been hiding for years under the carpet. We are only talking about maybe 425 square feet of flooring. The carpet came up as expected in about 30 minutes, but the padding was a different story....its stuck. It's not stuck to the floor by glue. It appears that over the past 30 some years the varnish on the floor has bonded to the padding. I can scrape the bulk of the padding off, but a thin layer still remains. It comes off best by scuffing it with the bottom of my shoe....and in 8 hours of time, I might have 30 square feet completed. Refinishing the floor is not an option or else I would just get a floor sander. Does anyone have any suggestings on how I can get this done before my daughter goes off to college(she's 4)???

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 10:21 AM
Hahaha! You have found the scuff trot dance step, we professionals have used for years.
It really does work the best to get the bulk of the residue off.

Now try mineral spirits. and elbow grease.

Mr. Clean Magic eraser, has been mentioned to me by many professionals as a life saver for urethane glue smudge removal, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

It is work, and nothing is really easy, if you want it done right and complete.

It seems everyone wants the easy way out and expect stunning results. It does happen every once in a while, but most of the time it is going to take work and long hours.

People wonder why my price to do things they feel will be easy, is higher then they expected. The reason being is, I have been there and done that. I know about how much of my time and talent it is going to take for me to meet your expectations and not halfass it. There are so many contractors out there that feel to get the work, they must bid it so low to underbid their competition. They get in there and see they are going to make peanuts for there time to do it right, so they cut corners and halfass it, only to be confronted with unsatisfied clients.

Take your time and do it right the first time. It is work, and there is no other way around it. Just think of all the money your saving and the satisfaction you know you did it right.