best place to buy laminate flooring? + few other questions

Old 10-13-08, 04:05 PM
best place to buy laminate flooring? + few other questions

I know I have been asking a ton of questions......I apologize.....this is just a big chunk of change for me and I want to make sure I do it right.
So--since pergo select is being discontinued, and wilsonart red label (plain--like the elm hurley) doesn't bother to list the AC ratings on their products.....PLUS wilsonart only warranties for ONE year if you buy online, I think I have narrowed my choice down to armstrong american duet vintage pine.
1) Has anyone installed Armstrong American Duet in their house?
2) Where is the best place to purchase from? Has anyone used ifloor or fastflooring.com?
3) Best underlayment? I'm tearing up carpet, flooring will be in living room & playroom. I have a 7 block crawl....not worried about a noise factor but since I live in a cold area was wondering what would be the most insulating? Which leads me to my next and final question (aren't you glad LOL)
4) Are these floors cold? I have hot water heat(boiler system), would it be beneficial to get hydronic floor heating? Worth the cost? Or fine without it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 09:03 PM
Eliminating WilsonArt because they don't list AC rating is not a good reason to eliminate them. Red Label is commercially rated for 5 years and lifetime residential. That should tell you something.

1) No
2) Local retailer. Take an Internet ad in to your local dealer and ask how close they can get to it. They will do what they can for you but don't expect them to meet that price. If you want the warranty - buy it from a retailer.
3&4) http://www.mpglobalproducts.com/quietwalk_index.html they have heated underlayment and regular. These floors are not as cold as tile but in cols areas they are not as warm as carpet. I've lived in deserts my whole life and have no first hand experience with hydronic heating systems. The underlayment works on electric and works well. Compare costs.

Old 10-14-08, 11:31 PM
Thank you!
Well, the quote I got from the local store for the wilsonart was 5.88 square foot. That was it for me LOL. And of course can't buy wilsonart online--well I guess you can but can't get the warranty. Armstrong was 4.39 however I found American duet online for 2.74 square foot......I had another online place beat that price and do free shipping.......the overall price with trim and everything was great. I'm just super worried because I have never made such a large purchase online....I actually have not made the purchase yet but seriously thinking about it. The name of the online place is fastfloors.com
I JUST found the quiet warmth (made by quiet walk). Just have to contact electric person and ask about cost of hooking it up. Hopefully it won't be that much......would be nice to keep our feet warn!
Thank you thank you thank you for your advice and input! GREATLY appreciated.

Originally Posted by Arkon View Post
Eliminating WilsonArt because they don't list AC rating is not a good reason to eliminate them. Red Label is commercially rated for 5 years and lifetime residential. That should tell you something.

1) No
2) Local retailer. Take an Internet ad in to your local dealer and ask how close they can get to it. They will do what they can for you but don't expect them to meet that price. If you want the warranty - buy it from a retailer.
3&4) http://www.mpglobalproducts.com/quietwalk_index.html they have heated underlayment and regular. These floors are not as cold as tile but in cols areas they are not as warm as carpet. I've lived in deserts my whole life and have no first hand experience with hydronic heating systems. The underlayment works on electric and works well. Compare costs.

Old 10-16-08, 06:01 PM
Good job. You found a great price. I truly hope it doesn't come back to bite you. Online retailers are great until there is a problem. Almost half price may be worth the risk though. I don't know where you live but i'd be calling every retailer within 60 miles to make sure i rule out all local possibilities before i made a purchase like this online.

Old 10-16-08, 08:22 PM
I order exclusively from online. When there is a concern, I have never had a problem, that I wouldn't have had, going through a local retailer. New product was shipped, no questions asked, if it was shipping damage and if it was manufacturing, someone was sent within a week to look at it to determine if it is manufacturing or buyers remorse.