Transition Molding Inlay

Old 10-16-08, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Transition Molding Inlay

We recently laid/had someone lay a laminate floor throughout our downstairs. Unfortunately, our installer installed several transition moldings and then ran out. By the time we ordered more, he couldn't return to finish. We laid a portion of the floor ourselves and have done others, so have some experience.

When he installed the transition moldings, he cut into the already laid foor and inset/inlaid the transitions so that they were flush in height with the floor. He allowed for a gap which was filled with a special caulk. It looks fantastic.

My questions are: Is there a special tool to cut the floor with or is it a standard table saw? If so, is there a special blade? Also, what type of caulk should be used to fill the gap?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-08, 07:10 PM
A hand held circular saw, set to the proper depth will work fine. You'll need a hammer and chisel to get close to any walls as the saw will come a bit short.

Caulking is unnecessary. The gap is covered by the molding.

Old 10-16-08, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your response Arkon.

I did a little more reading online and found that a router can be used to make a clean edge, as long as I use a guide. I'm not sure which would be better, a circular saw or a router. There is a slight gap because the floor molding does not overlap the laminate floor. It overlaps the floor that it transitions to, usually some type of tile.

------------- [``````-------------
Laminate caulk transition tile
molding

I exaggerated a bit to fit the words, and in reality, the laminate and molding are the same height while the tile is slightly shorter.