float or nail hardwood floor

Old 10-18-08, 03:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
float or nail hardwood floor

I've read many posts and am having trouble deciding whether I should nail or float my hardwood floor. The floor is in a very small room (8'x10") in a cabin, with one side open to the living room; the other walls are made of round logs. I have already cut and pieced the 5" solid wood planks, leaving a gap of about 3/4" (it varies since the walls aren't straight/flat) around the perimeter. There is a raised subfloor covered with a felt/water vapor barrier.

It's a weekend cabin, which gets pretty humid in the summer and since the floating floor allows the most expansion/contraction, that seems like a good method. But I've also read that floating is not recommended for solid wood planks (too late for a laminate, so don't advise me to use that). As far as I can tell, that's because solid wood is not generally straight enough. However, my planks are very straight and fit together snugly, so would it be better to go ahead and glue/float or...should I nail?

If floating is recommended, please explain the strap method used to hold the planks together while the glue sets. Do the straps run underneath the planks?

I've also read that ends should and shouldn't be glued together (or nailed through the face). Which is best?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Old 10-18-08, 04:50 PM
Don't even try to float a solid wood floor!!! Nail down ONLY!

If you feel you must, leave expansion gaps every 6-10 feet, in the installation.

Old 10-18-08, 05:03 PM
M
Thanks. I appreciate the definitive answer, but can I ask why? Also, what spacing/how far apart for the nails and should I use 7d? Would you recommend a nail gun? (Like every other project in this house, everything is a first!)

(The expansion gaps shouldn't be needed since the whole room is no more than 10'.)

Old 10-18-08, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Solid hardwood does not have a locking tongue & groove. Glue will not hold it together alone.

Porta has good guns, and you can also rent them from a big box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: