Hardwoods sound hollow what can I do??

Old 10-20-08, 05:05 AM
Hardwoods sound hollow what can I do??

I just about a new house about 5 months ago and I noticed in a couple of areas the hardwoods sound hollow like the glue didn't take to the wood and slab. What would cause this? Could it be a crack in the slab that is working it way? What can be done to fix this? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 05:22 AM
When the floor was installed, they didn't do proper floor preparation. There are high and low areas that didn't get ground down or filled with portland cement patching compound, to bring the substrate within the required 1/8" in a 6 foot radius.

Blow and go. It is quite common for those installers that have no clue what they are doing.

If the hollow area is less then 2 square feet, and not making popping or creaking noises, it will be OK, and not considered a concern, but if there are many like that, or they are bigger areas, they are a big concern.

Old 10-20-08, 06:07 AM
I have about 3 spots with the biggest maybe being 1 sq ft if even that. I don't hear any squeaking or popping at all.

Old 10-20-08, 09:24 AM
That is going to happen, even with the best of them. 1 sq.ft. is not a concern. I don't call them on an inspection, unless they are in a small areas combined(high spot)

Your floor will be fine.