Hardwood Floor Installation- Bullnose Installation

Old 10-22-08, 06:23 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Installation- Bullnose Installation

Hello,

I am planning to install solid 3/4" red oak t&G flooring in my upstairs hallway. The floor was previously carpeted.

My problem is what to do with the bullnose transition piece at the top of the stairs, and the skirtboard that locks the bullnose piece in place.

The stairs have oak treads, and the top transition piece is a 3" x 3/4" thick oak bullnose that appears to be T&G installed to the subfloor (3/4" OSB). but the top level of the bullnose piece is flush to the floor of the OSB. this was fine when the floor was carpet because the carpet wrapped around the bullnose.

Now that I'll be installing 3/4" flooring, I want the level of the floor to be flush with the level of the bullnose piece- so i purchased a new bullnose piece and intend to rip out the old one, repair the floor transition and then install the new bullnose at the correct level, flush with the flooring.

My stairs have a painted skirtboard on either side that are scribed to the stairs. I intend to put a thin cut into the skirtboard (probably with a Japanese pull saw) to "unlock" the old bullnose piece, and after the new bullnose is installed, then to modify the old skirtboard and reattach. Fill in the gaps with putty, then paint.

Does this sound like a good solution? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? I'll do my best to post pics soon.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-08, 06:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are many ways to skin that cat!

I'd have to see it in person to consult what needs to be done.

But it sounds like I'd just leave the existing, and cut off the overhang lip on the existing bullnose to make it a clean 90º to attach my new bullnose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: