Is this a good deal?

Old 10-24-08, 08:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal?

This is mainly an opinion asking post......

I've got an offer from a co-worker to help install my laminate flooring. It's roughly 650 sq ft, carpet removal and haul away, he has all the tools needed and has laid down flooring several times and I've seen pictures of his work which has looked great.

He says he will charge $1300 for everything...his time, carpet removal and haul away and the use of his tools.

I know that's a good savings from having a "professional" come in. Most want $3 + per sq foot. That's not including carpet removal and haul away. Also, they said they would charge more since there will be furniture that needs to be moved.

Now, I will be right there helping my co-worker do the work.

I feel that $1300 is still a great savings, but if I'm going to be doing my share of the work, shouldn't I be paying less....or maybe I'm getting a great deal regardless.

Trying not to knock a good thing. I should be looking at it as an experience thing too.

Anyways, do you think paying him $1300 when I'll be doing my fair share of the work is fair? Am I being a selfish bas***d?

Thanks

Old 10-24-08, 12:34 PM
T
To me, it does sound pricey especially since you will be doing a lot of the work. Granted he has the tools and the know-how, it still seeems pricey at $2/sq ft. Another thing to consider is how good of friends are you with this co-worker. I helped a buddy lay 1500 sq ft of laminate for no charge. For 1300 dollars, you could buy the tools you would need for this (miter saw, table saw, jig saw), and then you would have the tools after the job.

Basically, spend 1300, but on tools, and find a buddy to come help one weekend.

Old 10-24-08, 01:40 PM
A
See, I kind of think so too, but he and I aren't buds. We're co-workers. We get along fine, but we've never done anything after work and probably never will. Just two different people (basically he's married with 2 kids and I'm a free-bird

Anyways, the idea was to learn how to do this, so he will actually do more of the work than I. If I hire a pro they aren't going to want me to sticking my nose into their work

Regreattably, all my "buds" don't live in the same city as I....most are 2+ hours away and this will be a weekend thing.

I'm thinking I can talk him down to $1k. I think that's fair. That's more then 50% less what a "pro" is charging.

Old 10-24-08, 01:57 PM
T
Personally, I would rather spend the money on the tools and lay it myself. Before my friend and I layed his floor, neither of us knew how to lay the laminate. But it was easy. The floor jsut snaps together. Use the internet, we did to determine direction to run the boards. Be sure to rent a jamb saw or use a back saw (or pull saw) to cut the door jambs. Most of the floor you can do yourself except for long runs.

Our procedure (according to the directions)
Click all boards from one row together, then insert whole row into previous, and click into place. This does get cumbersome with long rows and helps to have multiple hands to insert the current row into the previous row at the same time and angle.

Old 10-24-08, 08:06 PM
You remove the carpet, and the furniture, and I will install it without your help, but you can watch, for $1300. Oh, you will need to get me a plane ticket.

Old 10-24-08, 08:34 PM
N
Obviously I don't know your whole situation but have you tried asking one of your 'buds' to come over for a weekend and help you out. Don't know about you but I've had some great times and memories working with my friends on either their place or mine.

Regarding the tools while you can certainly buy what you need for that amount of money, have you looked into the possibliy of just renting the tools if long term storage is an issue.

In my town you can put carpet at the curb for the garbage man to take, free, you may want to look into your local policies.

Again try and get a friend to help even at $1000 that seems like a lot. (think of all the pizza and beer you and your friends could get)

Old 10-25-08, 06:36 AM
An undercut saw, a table saw and maybe a jigsaw, is not going to cost anywhere nere $1300

Old 10-27-08, 07:00 AM
T
True, the required tools would cost no where near $1300 but think of all the tools you could get for $1300.

Old 10-29-08, 08:33 AM
A
Problem is, I don't have any buddies who live locally. Most of them are 2+ hours away with families.

I did find someone, licenced,bonded and insured, who will charge $1.35/sq ft. That's roughly $900, which is $400 less that what my co-worker was going to charge.

I'll bring this up to my co-worker and see if he wants to outbid the offer

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with paying the $900 for just the labor

Old 10-29-08, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unless this "coworker" is a professional, he should not be asking for this much labor (approx $2/sqft). I got my house installed professionally for this amount.

Old 10-29-08, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Lets see...someone who has a real company and wants some work, and as you say is on the up and up (of course you need to check that) or someone with a verbal agreement (I presume) who you can't hold accountable for anything.

Thats not too tough a choice for me.

References and copys of all the documents.

Old 10-29-08, 07:22 PM
I'd tell your buddy not to worry about driving the 2 hours each way to help you out. You found a local company with good references, along with being licensed and insured, that did it for $900.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: