floating laminate on top of carpet

Old 10-24-08, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floating laminate on top of carpet

I'm renting and dont want to pull up the carpet in my living room. I want to install laminate flooring in that room, the tongue-in-groove floating type. My aunt is very experienced with laying it, but wasn't sure whether it could go over top of carpet. I know it won't be as long lasting or as "nice" as on a hard surface, but is it doable?
Any info MUCH appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 07:38 AM
Nope!!! Too much flex, which will break the T&G lips, causing separation, and chipped edges.

Old 10-30-08, 12:13 PM
So, tips on ripping up the carpet so it can be laid back down if necessary?

Old 10-30-08, 12:25 PM
If this is carpet with cushion beneath, one would have to carefully pry carpet from tack strip near baseboard and roll up. Cushion would have to be removed and all staples and tack strip removed.

It is always best to follow manufacturers instructions re: acclimation, surface prep, underlayment, and installation. Failure to do so can result in product failure and voided warranty.

Old 11-05-08, 06:38 PM
toungy, , ,err, groovy

here's the approach i would take.

since you are set on doing this than that means you are prepared to purchase the flooring out of your own pocket already. strike a deal with your landlord, say, , , materials and labor 50/50. you are only spending half on materials now see if your aunt will cut your landlord a deal on installation.

you might end up with exactly what you want without having to pay the full price nor having to sneak it behind your landlord's back.and if you're itchin' for that "pulled-one-over-on-the-man" feeling than help your aunt install it and have her bill you out to him as her helper, take your pay and be on your way, it just might work.

Old 11-05-08, 06:49 PM
Have you discussed laminate replacement with landlord? He/she may be more than willing for you to upgrade the flooring at your expense.