Does The Floor need to be perfectly level?

Old 10-26-08, 10:29 AM
Does The Floor need to be perfectly level?

I have been looking at a lot of different brands of Laminate at several different places. What we like, and what matches our oak wood work the best is the Dupont Real Touch Elite, sold exclusively at Home Depot.

Since HD doesn't stock this, and has to be ordered, I had them come out to measure to confirm my measurements so that I order enough. After measuring, they checked to see if the floor was level. In the Kitchen they say that there are a couple places with 1/8" dips and that the laminate cannot be put down until this is leveled completely, or it could come apart, crack etc, and void the warranty.

I can't believe everyone that puts down laminate flooring has perfectly level floors.

The Dupont has the thin underlayment attached. Is it possible that laying an extra layer of underlayment would compensate for some of the unlevelness?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-08, 10:52 AM
1/8" is a lot, you will notice that as you walk on it. search this forum, and you will see what was said, and heed the advice.

Old 10-26-08, 06:26 PM
The magic rule for substrate FLATNESS(not level) is 1/8 of an inch in 6 feet radius. 1/8th is well within specifications. Anything greater will need attention. DO NOT DOUBLE PAD!!!!! Voids any and all warranties implied by the manufacturer.

Old 10-26-08, 08:38 PM
i have areas that are 1/8 and less, on my slab. and i can feel them when i walk. maybe laminate is different than engineered ?

Old 10-27-08, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
The magic rule for substrate FLATNESS(not level) is 1/8 of an inch in 6 feet radius. 1/8th is well within specifications. Anything greater will need attention. DO NOT DOUBLE PAD!!!!! Voids any and all warranties implied by the manufacturer.

This is starting to confirm a few doubts I have about HD. They offered to make up a quote for the installation. I had them fax me the break down of the prices of material and labor. I found several questionable charges that look like nothing more than padding the bill of a few hundred dollars extra.

The person that did the measure and checked the levelness, did a diagram of every place they measured. I got a copy of the Kitchen and dinette. each place that they claim has a dip is boxed in with dotted lines. One place shows directly under my refrigerator, another would be under a cabinet and dishwasher, and 1 other place I know for a fact they did not lay the level. HD wants to send someone out to see what can be done to smooth out these problem areas, and what THEY would charge to do it....

Sound suspicious?

Last edited by Rider12; 10-27-08 at 06:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-27-08, 06:39 AM
Pretty common for HD. I have seen estimates with way more flooring than is needed to do the job, extras that were not needed and they charged for the estimate... Padding the estimate, is an under statement!!