Swiftlock vs. Kensington Manor laminate

Old 10-27-08, 04:42 PM
Swiftlock vs. Kensington Manor laminate

I had everything picked out 12mm kensington manor polo club oak hand scraped from lumber liquidators for 2.79 sq ft, when I went into Lowes today and found a 8mm hand scraped oak Swiftlock product for 1.94 sq. ft on clearance. I'd be getting about 500 sq ft, so I'd save about $425 by going with the swiftlock from lowes.

the 12mm one has a 3mm pad, and the 8mm has a 2mm pad. It's being installed over concrete, is the 2mm pad a problem? will I even notice a difference between the two products?

At least I'm assuming it's a 2mm pad, becuase there are no specs to be found anywhere so I compared it to what I know is 3mm and it's a little thinner so I'm guessing 2mm. (why can I not find any specs for Swiftlock Handscraped Hickory laminate???)

they look the same, so it all boils down to quality. is there anything about the swiftlock that I will regret versus the thicker kensington manor? I dont plan on staying in this house more than 5 years if that matters...both warranties are at least 20 years, so either floor should outlast me...

what would you do?

thanks!
Robin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 05:51 PM
No big difference

You often times do indeed get what you pay for. The more expensive Kensington Manor is heavier and tends to remain more dimensionally stable even on less than perfect subfloors. It has better than average surface hardness and an impressive core strength. Additionally the interlock design is very positive and resists separation.
On the other hand, Swiftlock is manufactured under the Armstrong name, whom are no strangers to professional flooring products. While this product has less material and weight, it has a more than adequate surface layer. The thinner backing makes a strong and level subfloor more critical than perhaps a beefier product. It is vulnerable to all forces that can potentially damage laminate wood-like flooring, but should hold up well in residential settings if installed correctly and maintained following the manufacturers guidelines.
It would be hard to go far wrong with either product, however the Kensengton might be a better option if you were planning to stay in the home longer.