Engineered floor

Old 10-29-08, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered floor

I thought I had laminate flooring in my hall and kitchen, but when I discovered a piece behind the water heater, I discovered it was the engineered type.

I had planned on replacing it becuase it's very dented and the previous owner put a coat of poly on it and it has hairs and debris now stuck in the surface. a few boards are not pretty, like something caught on the edge and the top layer has been chipped off.

Am I stupid to pull up engineered wood and put down laminate? is there a way to refresh the existing wood? If so, I could get matching stuff and install in the rest of the downstairs. that would beat pulling up the engineered and putting down laminate everywhere. I'm just not sure if the engineered wood can be saved, or is even worth it.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 02:56 PM
The top layer of engineered flooring is called a wear layer and is either sawn or peeled, with sawn being thicker. Some wear layers can be sanded and refinished as often as solid flooring. Check the thickness of the wear layer. If it's in the 3/16 or more range, you could completely refinish at least twice. If it's in the 1/32 range, it may be able to be screened and coated to improve the appearance, but you won't be able to address the dents issue. Not knowing how deep the dents are and whether improving the appearance of the dented area while not making them disappear is acceptable, it's tough to speculate. I'd say if the wear layer is 3/32 or more it's worth it to get a free estimate on refinishing. The appearance of the chipping areas can be improved, but it won't be perfect. If you get the estimate, then you'll have the facts you need to make the call, such as for $x refinish, but it's not perfect v. $y for replacement with laminate. Good luck.

Old 10-29-08, 08:17 PM
All engineered floors can be screened and recoated many many times. Don't get screen and recoat confused with a complete sand to bare wood and finished. Some engineered have so thin of a wear layer, they can only be done once, to bare wood.