the magnificent floating toilet !?

Old 11-05-08, 08:59 PM
the magnificent floating toilet !?

two questions.

if i install a floating floor in my bathroom does the wax ring compensate for the expansion and contraction? i would like to quickly install a new semi-perminent floor in my bathroom in time for thanksgiving but my fear is that i will get grey water seeping out.

question two

do bamboo and cork hold up well in a high moisture environment? these are the materials that i've narrowed it down to finish my bathroom with once the hollidays are over and i've got more time and money. the answers that i've gotten have been all over the board so i submit it to you, my impartial jury.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-08, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by mikiel View Post

do bamboo and cork hold up well in a high moisture environment? these are the materials that i've narrowed it down to finish my bathroom with once the hollidays are over and i've got more time and money. the answers that i've gotten have been all over the board so i submit it to you, my impartial jury.

No, those two types of flooring are very dimensionally unstable, when moisture is a concern.

Old 11-07-08, 10:04 PM
alright, i was afraid of that. . .

so, what of the incredible floating toilet? am i going to get waste seeping under a floating laminate ?

Old 11-07-08, 10:36 PM
Ditto on the instability of bamboo and cork in damp/wet environments. I also nix the idea of floating floor in the bathroom. Too many internet forum posts re: instability of floor, wax ring, and toilet leaks.

If looking for a quick, inexpensive, semi-permanent alternative for the holidays, install some self-stick tiles. Much less expensive and much less troublesome than floating floor in the bathroom.

Another alternative for a quick and inexpensive fix is to visit local flooring stores and explore what vinyl remnants are available. Some can be picked up for a song. Of course, it depends on the size of the bathroom.

If looking for a semi-permanent fix, either the self-stick tiles or a new vinyl can be installed over existing vinyl. There are many self-stick tiles and vinyl that are a close call to natural stone and tile.

That is, if the existing floor is vinyl. Strip all wax and residues off existing vinyl. Sand to provide tooth for good adhesion. Shop vac to remove dust. If embossed, you can spread with self-leveling compound and sand to smooth and vacuum up dust with shop vac. Then, you can proceed with manufacturer's installation instructions. Don't forget to pull the toilet!

Old 11-07-08, 10:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mikiel View Post
alright, i was afraid of that. . .

so, what of the incredible floating toilet? am i going to get waste seeping under a floating laminate ?
The ring should rest on the original floor, not the floating part, ayou may have to extend the flange or use a double wax ring. But as per above I'd stay away from any kind of pervious floor in a bathroom -- even Marble. Try getting pee stains out of Marble........

Old 11-13-08, 08:28 PM
floating toilet

we install floating floors in bath rooms regularly for last 7 years ....no call backs and no probs.....you have to do a few extra things to make it work though....very small ribbon of glue in the joints (1/32") this water seals the joints...then after install of floor but before the qtr round use silicone around the perimeter to seal the edges from getting water....most important,,,, install floor AROUND the toilet flange, seal it off with silicone down in the edge where floor meets flange and then use 1 wax ring with rubber flange and 1 wax ring (wax only) this will seal all.