Installing t-molding

Old 11-06-08, 07:28 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing t-molding

I installed a piece of wooden t-molding between my engineered wood hallway and tiled bathroom yesterday, using liquid nails. I had about 80lbs of weight sitting on it for the last 16 hours. When I removed the weights, almost no bonding had occurred. I removed the molding to find the glue is still soft. How long does this stuff take to dry?

It's possible I may have used too little glue because the ridge of the t-molding doesn't quite touch the concrete floor, but the glue still should have dried right? However, I believe I did use enough!!!

Thanks!

Old 11-06-08, 01:09 PM
T
According to Liquid Nails, The adhesive will reach its maximum strength within 7 days. Actual dry time may vary with temperature, humidity and substrates. FAQ - Liquid NailsŪ Removal and More

Old 11-06-08, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by leppy View Post
I installed a piece of wooden t-molding between my engineered wood hallway and tiled bathroom yesterday, using liquid nails. I had about 80lbs of weight sitting on it for the last 16 hours. When I removed the weights, almost no bonding had occurred.
Thanks!
You could also try Gorilla Glue

Old 11-07-08, 04:26 AM
Read the part on the tube of Liquid nails that says, "Do Not Use for wood flooring"

PL Premium Urethane, is what I use.

Old 11-09-08, 04:32 PM
C
i used pl400, and it was weighted down for 3 days. and it still wasn't completely dry.
there real should be something better. that we DIYers can easily get.

Old 11-09-08, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
i used pl400, and it was weighted down for 3 days. and it still wasn't completely dry.
there real should be something better. that we DIYers can easily get.
Said it once but I'll say it again.
Gorilla Glue.

Old 11-09-08, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
PL 400 is not a polyurathane, as far as I know, it's pretty much like Liquid Nail.

Gorilla Glue is, but I've never used it in that kind of application.

I'd take CDR at his word on this.

Old 11-13-08, 03:36 PM
R
tmold glue

we found that silicone II is the best, it is very gooey out of the tube, adheres to anything and sets up on a typical day in about 12 15 hrs, plus for those not quite flat subfloors or the uneven transition area it give a little flex when stepped on so it is not as apt to break

Old 11-20-08, 09:57 AM
G
did you use a certain type of Silicone II? I am getting ready to lay T molding in my bath to hall transition (slate tile to floating bamboo). I will be, hopefully, adhering the t-molding to the tile directly.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-08, 10:29 AM
L
Originally Posted by leppy View Post
I installed a piece of wooden t-molding between my engineered wood hallway and tiled bathroom yesterday, using liquid nails. I had about 80lbs of weight sitting on it for the last 16 hours. When I removed the weights, almost no bonding had occurred. I removed the molding to find the glue is still soft. How long does this stuff take to dry?

It's possible I may have used too little glue because the ridge of the t-molding doesn't quite touch the concrete floor, but the glue still should have dried right? However, I believe I did use enough!!!

Thanks!

Use the liquid nails "PANELING" (molding& foam installation).

It dries much faster. In fact, it will start to set in about 10 mintes. Much faster drying time vs 7 days of a pile of gunk. Wait overnight to walk on the T molding. Make sure it is thick enough to touch and hit 3 to four places on the slot on the T molding bottom. I tried it like you did first. Totally a nightmare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: