versaboard subfloor

Old 11-12-08, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
versaboard subfloor

I just bought a home built in 1968 and plan on replacing carpet with 3/4" hardwood. Subfloor is made up of 5/8" plywood over 2X12 floor joists with Weyerhauser Versaboard (3/4" I think) over the plywood. My question is - does anyone know if this Versaboard is OSB or particle board? The house is a one-story over a crawl space that is subject to getting wet when it rains but there is a good vapor barrier on the ground and under the plywood sub-floor. I plan on using 15 lb. felt under the flooring but understand I can't put the flooring over particle board. If Versaboard is particle board, is my only option to remove it and add another layer of plywood if I want to run the flooring parallel to the floor joists?

I would appreciate any help I can get. John H.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 05:41 AM
This is an OSB enginnered wood http://www.ilevel.com/literature/OSB-4000.pdf . It appears they have 2 grades 1 being stronger than the other .
Theres 2 things to consider .How well was it put down and is it deteriorating. Is there excessive movement in the floor when you walk. This OSB will flex more than Plywood so the big issue would be how long will it take for the hardwood nails to start moving creating creak . Depending on your budget and willingness to go the extra mile to make sure your work is permanent. The good thing about true hardwood is the durability and being able to refinish it to new again.
If i was doing this job and plan on staying in this house for some time 30 - 50 years id take up the OSB and use 3/4 plywood . Theres no doubt you can put it down on this but you may see problems develope (depending on traffic) over 5-10 years . Probably creak providing you have no other issues with your floor structure itself. I dont think setteling is going to be an issue sense the house was built in 1968 . Id be concerned with the moisture you said accumulates when raining . That sounds like a drainage problem and can be detramental to your foundation. Creating a structual problem with the floor and walls itself . Thus creating the possibility of more problems with the hardwood installation sooner than later . Id look for sighns under the house such as dampness and mildew in the wood to make sure moisture is not creating future problems.If you have areas that are wetter than others install drainage pipes where needed . The most common problem is downspouts from the roof . make sure they carry the water away from the foundation and install drainage where needed .

Old 11-13-08, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info Demolitionman. The subfloor is in good condition with no squeaks, deterioriation, or signs of moisture.

It seems Weyerhauser now calls their OSB Structurwood Edge. Did you find a reference specifically saying Versaboard is an engineered OSB product and not particle board?

I appreciate your advice about moisture and am taking steps to ensure water is directed away from the house to minimize dampness and moisture exposure.

Old 11-14-08, 02:53 AM
This is a product made of glue resins and particles of wood hense particle board. Theres alot of science in the making of this type of material some being better than others(a ford pinto compared to a cadillac). The glues , size and type of wood particles used in the fabrication process seperates the good from the bad . I cant see the floor you have so i cant tell you more about the quality . Get down on the floor and see if the chips are gapped or loose in random areas. They have currently 2 grades 1 with a 25 year warranty and another with a 50 year warranty .Your house is 40 years old so id call them and ask about the product.
Again the time , effort and expense of laying Real hardwood is
pretty substantial . Plywood is made of sheats of wood glued together making it very durable and not as weak when other material is attached(nailed)to it. The more you nail into OSB or any wood product for that matter .Your essentially weakening the product , moreso than plywood(because of the sheething process). Thats why i recomend removing OSB for the longer duration.Heck a real wood floor installed properly can last many a lifetime . And its only as good as the foundation under it .
Naturally they have improved this product alot . if you read the last page they have a help you build smarter tech line , you can call them up and ask them there opinion on there product made in 1968 .