Engineered flooring won't lay flat

Old 11-13-08, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered flooring won't lay flat

Trying to install engineered flooring and it won't lay flat. It wants to cup. I have laid 5-6 rows you step on it and it rocks. It will raise up on inch along the wall. I talked to Bruce Flooring about stapling and they said it was not made to be stapled. They suggested taping it together, not much help there. Anyone ever staple this and if so how did it work? About ready to throw it away and try something else.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 11:57 AM
not sure I understand..is it warped? if it's regular engineered floor, it's definately meant to float, u don't want to staple. Unless the pieces are warped (or the subfloor is warped) they should just lay flat, u can put moldinig arond the edges to hold it down some, but it should only come up the wall 1/4" or so, and the molding should be nailed into the wall, not the floor (so the floor can truely float (and expand and contract)..

Old 11-13-08, 12:29 PM
It is not warped and the floor is level. When you snap two pieces together it will not lay flat. It is like it does not lock together properly. I have taken different pieces and they all do the same thing

Old 11-13-08, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flooring

Are you using the plastic tool and tapping it into place with a hammer?

If you don't already know you actually need 2 tools to install this. One is a plastic block about 6" long with a lip on the edge that you put against the flooring piece and wack it into place. The other is a foot long "z" shaped metal tool that you use the same way when close to a wall. Are you using these?

Old 11-13-08, 12:42 PM
Ohhh..now I get it. I've had the same problem a few times, barring a mis-cut at the factory (extremly rare), sounds like you need to push the tounge into the grove further (they go in easier at an angle) and then clip them down..sometimes u have to use a little more force than you would think...each board should click flat before the next one goes on..u can click in the long side of the board and then slide the ends together..it's a little hard and u can use the pry bar and a scrap piece of wood to help..it's more of an art than a science...

Old 11-13-08, 03:42 PM
Yes I am using a hammer and plastic block and a tool for close to the wall. It is not as easy as they say it is. I still think my staple gun would work better, but warranty. Thanks for comments and suggestions, if I figure out an easier way I will post. Thanks

Old 11-13-08, 03:49 PM
I had the same problem with armstrong i used a piece of scrap laminant to fit the socket better for tapping . It should be at a slite angle as you tap the adjoining piece into place . Then press down to lock . The seams should be tight together when locked into place . Some of the pieces where harder than others . Also make sure there is no defects in the locking area such as loose particles or dented tongue .

Old 11-16-08, 10:57 AM
I just recently installed a laminate wood floor in my aunt's house and had this same problem, although it only happened w/ one box of planks. I went through 20 boxes just fine, they all clicked together properly and then the last box had 4 or 5 planks that wouldn't go together. I would get them in, tap them together like I had all the others and then as soon as I would let go of the plank it would either pop out of the groove it was in or it would stay in but sit at a 25 or 30 degree angle to the ground. It was the strangest thing. Luckily, I only needed a few planks out of that last box so I was able to make due, but the ones that sat at an angle I just used against the wall and used the moulding to hold it down.

So, after all that, I really have no solution for you other than take the planks back and return them for some different boxes. You really can't install them wrong, you just insert it at an angle, click it in, push it down until it lays flat and then use that little tapping black to tap(bang) it together. IMHO, if you did that and it still pops out or angles up like mine did, there is something wrong w/ the planks.

Old 11-16-08, 08:26 PM
The trim molding will hold it down!! LOL!!!!