self leveling compound

Old 11-13-08, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
self leveling compound

We went to Lowes and got the self leveling compound and primer and used and mixed both according to directions. It didn't "run" away like they said it would at Lowes. We actually had to drag it around which they didn't mention. Of course, we were unprepared tool wise to do that so had to make shift a trowel. Did we mix it wrong? I wonder now if it's going to be hi spots in the areas we put it down?

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 03:21 AM
Yea i ran into the same issue . It doesnt take alot of water i learned that hehe.Generally 2 quarts of water and one 25 pound bag of mix(read the instructions). I made small amounts so i could deal with it properly allowing me more time to work the solution.It sounds like you added to much grout. I used a drill and mixing attachment to mix . Use the mix approx 1 cup at a time then mix , repeat untill you get the consistancy .
Self leveling compound is meant to flow and disperse kinda like syrup with little finishing. The thicker you mix it the faster it will set up. Keep a spong and bucket of water near you and apply small amounts of water to your trowl when you need to skim it for a smooth finish .Make sure you dont have any loose particles that can create havoc when you try to smooth it out .Wipe up any excess lightly with the spong.
If your by yourself dont cover more than you can handle as its pretty permanent when it dries.Take your time and do it right .

Old 11-14-08, 05:34 AM
also as for possible high spots you may have created take a long level and set it over the treated area and look for high spots. Naturally you want it as flat as possible with the adjoining floor or area . If you have some issues with high spots. Chisle out the affected area and refill it .Dont grind it because the dust can be unhealthy.