50 year old hardwood floor questions

Old 11-14-08, 12:25 PM
50 year old hardwood floor questions

It seems I may have one last major DIY project left in this beat up body. I finally got started on a complete kitchen redo where I'm using an adjoining room to double the size. The room I'm grabbing has 3/4" oak planking over 1x4" T&G. The original planks were installed over what looks like a pink paper with cut nails (which surprised me). The boards come up real easy and I have two questions.
1. What was the paper for?
2. Since the rest of the first floor (not kitchen) has the same flooring should I save it for reuse? I do need repairs in another room.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 01:28 PM
The pink paper is likely rosin paper. This building paper is used as a protective paper to cover finished floors to protect them from plaster dust, paint, etc. It is not a vapor retarder. It is recommended that #15 lb. roofing felt be used as a vapor retarder under solid hardwood flooring.

Old 11-14-08, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the reply on the paper. The basement is finished and heated so me thinks the paper is useless. But what about reusing the hardwood I remove?

Old 11-14-08, 02:44 PM
You still need the asphalt underlayment beneath solid hardwood as a vapor retarder. Warm air contains moisture vapor and rises from finished basement below. Some say that the underlayment also helps with squeaks.

Recycling of wood can be done. Take care not to damage during removal.

Old 11-14-08, 06:09 PM
The paper makes the wood slide better during installation, and to reduce the wood-to-wood squeak characteristic.