floor layout

Old 11-14-08, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floor layout

I am contemplating doing my own hardwood floor installation, without any experience. I will probably be adding many threads with a lot of novice questions. I plan on installing 3/4" x 5" plank teak wood onto plywood subfloor. Basic first question is regarding layout. Everything I read says to lay wood in line with longest wall, but it also says to lay perpindicular to floor joists. In my situation this is a conflict. What is more important? The esthetics of the layout or the sturdiness? I am assuming the latter, but want to ask people who know what they are doing before plunging ahead...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 10:58 PM
3/4" plank should be installed perpendicular to planks. The joists have to support the weight of the flooring.

Wider planks (4"+) have a greater tendency to cup or crown. Some manufacturers of plank flooring recommend skipping the asphalt underlayment and install with adhesive and nails. They recommend urethane adhesive.

Make sure flooring acclimates in rooms where it is to be installed. Temp at about 70 and humidity 35-55%. Moisture test should be done of wood subfloor and flooring. There should be no greater difference than 2% for plank flooring. If greater, continue to acclimate.

If installing over crawl space, make sure a vapor retarder is over the soil. If not and you need installation tips for that, please post again.

Old 11-14-08, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the help. You say some manufacturers suggest skipping asphalt underlayment and glue/nail instead. I am planning on using bellawood through lumberliquidators. Do you know if this is the case with bellawood? Also, lumberliquidators is pushing the Dream Home insulayment over the asphalt. Any thoughts on this product (other than twice the cost?)

ps. I have a basement so no worries about crawlspace beneath subfloor.

Old 11-14-08, 11:56 PM
Dream Home Insulayment is a new product. You can go to Underlayment for Carpet, Tile, Wood and Laminate Flooring to read about it. Scroll down the page to get beyond the blue screen to the articles. The manufacturer reports:

STEP ABOVE™ Flooring Underlayment is a cross-linked polyolefin product designed to eliminate noise transmission and improve in-room sound quality. STEP ABOVE is a composite of durable, dimensionally stable sound isolating foam combined with a 3-mil polyethylene vapor barrier. Utilizing the lip and tape edge system, it is easy to create a moisture proof barrier underlayment that provides thermal insulation, eliminates noise transmission and isolates structural borne vibration.

STEP ABOVE™ Plus Flooring Underlayment is the most technically advanced sound blocker available for hardwood, laminate and engineered flooring systems. STEP ABOVE Plus Flooring Underlayment is a composite of durable, dimensionally stable, cross-linked polyolefin resin and a 6-mil Polyethylene vapor barrier.

STEP ABOVE™ Plus Flooring Underlayment is the most technically advanced sound blocker available for hardwood, laminate and engineered flooring systems. STEP ABOVE Plus Flooring Underlayment is a composite of durable, dimensionally stable, cross-linked polyolefin resin and a 6-mil Polyethylene vapor barrier.

STEP ABOVE Plus minimizes airborne and structural ( footfall ) noise and significantly improves in-room sound quality. Easy to install, STEP ABOVE Plus includes a lip and tape edge system to create a moisture proof membrane to prevent mold, mildew and vapor transmission. STEP ABOVE Plus also provides thermal insulation performance to reduce cold floors and decrease energy loss.

Note that Step Above offers 3 mil. vapor retarder and Step Above offers 6 mil. I'd go with 6 mil.

Bellawood installation instructions. Click the PDF here: Lumber Liquidators: Flooring 101 No mention of use of urethane adhesive for planks.

There are internet reviews on Lumber Liquidators, such as at Lumber Liquidators Hardwood Flooring - Overview, Opinion

Bellawood warranty: Bellawood: Our Warranty

Old 11-15-08, 07:11 AM
Thanks twelvepole. I appreciate the information. Should I assume you are recommending the Step Above product? It is even more expensive than the Dream Home Insulayment, but seems thinner, which I like. Or do you suggest just going with the regular #15 Felt? I am planning on placing my order soon, so I wanted to make a decision on this, but I guess I could order the wood without the underlayment and get that later. Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-15-08, 11:00 AM
How important is sound deadening? If flooring is over a finished living area below, then you may feel the need for the new cushioned underlayment. If not, then go with the roofing felt, which will be less expensive.