Cryntel Engineered Plank Flooring Questions

Old 11-15-08, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cryntel Engineered Plank Flooring Questions

This is an install in Hawaii, on a post and pier foundation. New Construction; less than one year since lot work began. The product is Lowe's Cryntel Ultimate Engineered Exotic Hardwood Plank (Item # 237848) I'm going to be installing this product over 3/4" plywood sub-floor. My moisture is leveled off at 18%. I'm fairly certain that this product can only be glued down, per manufactures limited directions. I just picked up two 3.5 gallon buckets of RedGard elastomeric membrane (sealer/waterproofing). I plan on sealing the floors this weekend, and laying the flooring out next weekend to acclimate, and installing the weekend after that.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone out there nailed this product down?
2. Will 7 gallons of sealer adequately prep 1000 sq'?
3. Can I trust the sealer to keep moisture out?
4. Any suggestions on keeping the flooring tight? Without a nail gun or a positive "click" together system, my only control will be with the adhesive.

Last edited by Smithbuilt; 11-15-08 at 01:31 AM. Reason: More info to add
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-08, 03:49 AM
Cryntel's website is 'under construction,' so there is no help there. They do provide: Customer Service number
1-800-766-1043. If you have questions re: installation instructions, give them a call.

Installation instructions tend to be product specific. They must be followed precisely or warranty will be voided.

Did manufacturer's instructions recommend the elastomeric membrane? Product label should tell you the coverage for SF.

Temp should be maintained year round at about 70. Humidity should be maintained at 35-55% for the health of home furnishings and occupants. If humidity is low, then you need to humidify with humidifier. If high, then dehumidify.

Why is humidity so low in your home? Hawaii islands are surrounded with water and it's historically humid there. For instance, humidity in Honolulu today is 88%. Are you sure your hydrometer is working? You typed 18% humidity level. Is this a typo and it is 81%?

Old 11-15-08, 03:59 AM
Old 11-15-08, 10:20 AM
Moisture meter readings

The 18% is the reading I get out of the subfloor with a two prong moisture meter. I have a good meter. I have used it for many projects, measuring fir, teak, oak, different ply woods... It has multiple settings for different species. I also have been monitoring the subfloor since the beginning of construction. At installation it was reading anywhere from 70%-90%, and now it has steadily dropped to the 18% I get today. The outside relative humidity is in the high 80's year round. I think you are on to something with the customer service number. With the web site still under construction, that will be my only choice. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-15-08, 10:52 AM
Moisture content of subfloor is not the same as humidity. Moisture content in wood subfloor and flooring is measured with a moisture meter, as you explain. Relative humidity within the room(s) is measured with a hygrometer and should be maintained at 35-55% year round.

Moisture content of subfloor and engineered wood flooring should be within the limits as recommended by the manufacturers of the flooring and the adhesive. Acclimation time for flooring placed in rooms where it is to be installed should be stated by the manufacturer.