"grand illusions" vs "beveled wood collection" - Armstrong

Old 11-15-08, 08:03 PM
"grand illusions" vs "beveled wood collection" - Armstrong

Hi,

I am wondering what the difference is (any?) between Armstrong Grand Illusions which sells for $5sq ft, and the Armstrong "Beveled Wood Collection" which sells at Lowes for $4sqft.

In the Grand Illusions line they have "Brazillian Jatoba"
In the Beveled Wood Collection they have "Jatoba"

I can't find anywhere local that sells Grand Illusion, or I would investigate it myself. The colors looked similar, they used the same images that are on the Armstrong webiste, and the boards were the same thickness (5/8). I was decently impressed with the Beveled Wood Collection, but the finish still looks/feels slightly plastic. I was hoping the Grand Illusion was actually different somehow, and that it looked 100% like hardwood.

I also saw some "hand scrapped" planks in the "Beveled Wood Collection" that looked pretty amazing. They had a wood texture that you could feel imprinted into the wood, and the hand scrapping looked rather realistic. Unfortunatly they only had it in Oak Earthen Brownscrapped, and not a Jatoba variant but I'm getting off on a tangent now so I'll end my post. (EDIT: I did find the "hand scrapped" looking planks on the Armstrong website, they're called "Rustics Premium")

Any information appreciated, otherwise I'll have to order a sample which isn't really so bad but posting here is free

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 12:53 AM
I used Grand Illusion Cherry Bronze . The grain looks dead on cherry and the finish reminds me of a Grand Piano finish . We have 4 kids so naturally it picks up finger and foot prints very easy.It also carries a 30 year warranty as well . I had planned on using a cheaper line of finish trim but the Cherry Bronze was a hard match so instead of $100.00 in T-molding and Transition pieces.I spent $300.00 on the Grand Illusions .
I purchased everything through RiteRug and paid $3.99 sqf.
After i had allready ordered it i found it at prices from $2.49 to $2.99 at places like ifloor on the internet.I stayed with riterug, at least i can go talk to them if ever a problem developes .They also had better pricing on the finish trim pieces.I believe Armstrong has the best limited expansion than any other brand, meaning it expands the least under moist conditions .
I liked the wood texture product as well , That Jatoba is really nice but it was awfly expensive.I liked everything about the Armstrong line except for 1 BIG issue that i didnt even think about when i purchased it untill my wife mentioned it a few weeks later.Its made in China .

Old 11-16-08, 06:57 PM
Thanks!

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm a little torn at the moment just because I can purchase engineered hardwood Jatobi at Home Depot actually for less than I can get the grand illusions fake stuff. But I like the durability of the laminate for sure. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the edges are rounded over, with no pattern on them which makes it look more fake than some of the other brands I've looked at.

In the end I think I'll end up going with the Grand Illusions for durability and cross my fingers that it does as well for resale of my place as "real" hardwood.

How often would you say there are repeat patterns with the Grand Illusions? 1 every 5? 1 every 10?

Old 11-17-08, 02:35 AM
never actually looked at it but ill check into it and let ya no.

Old 11-18-08, 01:54 AM
looks to be about every 4-5 , i used the boxes up by a few from the front of the shipped pilot ,then the back to the center etc... I used the Cherry Bronze so its dark and you cant see a pattern really.