Flooring safety issue with elderly -

Old 11-16-08, 08:51 AM
Question Flooring safety issue with elderly -

Hi, replacing carpet because my disabled 85yr old dad has a walking issue with it. Elderly tend to shuffle and they can meet resistance with feet or shoes against carpet, like a surface texture problem. It was suggested that I Not put carpeting back (incontenance issues as well) and go with laminate or vinyl (sheet/tile). There is a 55 yr old cork floor Under the carpet. It's incredibly resiliant, but has damage around areas carpet tack was used. Color wouldn't match if I used new cork to fix.
Because of cost, laminate and vinyl were the flooring I felt was the way to go. I was much surprised to find out vinyl is more expensive than carpet (mostly).
I will be using a professional installer as I cannot do.
Please advise on the best brands for quality/affordability/look, etc. I also wondered if laminate would be bad cause we have three dogs, and though housebroken, dogs will be dogs. Same advice for vinyl sheeting.
Because there is cork, one HD employee said I cannot use any flooring that has to be glued down. Another person said this may not be the case. It will cost more to remove the cork, so advice needed. Sorry for long post, but safety has now become my main criteria when buying new flooring.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 07:18 PM
floor cost comparison

Originally Posted by debbiebuster View Post
Hi, replacing carpet because my disabled 85yr old dad has a walking issue with it. Elderly tend to shuffle and they can meet resistance with feet or shoes against carpet, like a surface texture problem. It was suggested that I Not put carpeting back (incontenance issues as well) and go with laminate or vinyl (sheet/tile). There is a 55 yr old cork floor Under the carpet. It's incredibly resiliant, but has damage around areas carpet tack was used. Color wouldn't match if I used new cork to fix.
Because of cost, laminate and vinyl were the flooring I felt was the way to go. I was much surprised to find out vinyl is more expensive than carpet (mostly).
I will be using a professional installer as I cannot do.
Please advise on the best brands for quality/affordability/look, etc. I also wondered if laminate would be bad cause we have three dogs, and though housebroken, dogs will be dogs. Same advice for vinyl sheeting.
Because there is cork, one HD employee said I cannot use any flooring that has to be glued down. Another person said this may not be the case. It will cost more to remove the cork, so advice needed. Sorry for long post, but safety has now become my main criteria when buying new flooring.

first of all using HD (installation) will only cost you about 40% more in labor, also if you will run the numbers, laminate may be alittle cheaper by the foot but by the time u add up the accessories such as Padding, atching qtr rnd and transitions you may be surprised, HD has a standard hardwood floor (the real 3/4 stuff) at 2.99 foot it is bt Bruce and they call the coloer MARSH it is more like a light gunstock, then you go get the qtr rnd at a local mom and pop hardware/lumber yard for about 45-50 cents a ft not 14.00 a stick like the box stores.
Ask the salesman at the local HD if he'll give you the installers name and number if you buy the floor there, it usually works here also lowes has one at 2.99 ft also so you can check around, as far as cork??
leave it, and install the floor over it, as long as you still get clearance for things like th top of the fidge at the cabinets and the ext door opens with the new floor hieght of 3/4 inches added. cork is use under the high end floors anyway for sound deadening, you don't hear of it much because of the expense.

Old 11-16-08, 07:22 PM
by the way may I ask where your general location is, I'm in Virginia, near Roanoke, we tend to get between 1.85 and 2,25 for floor labor, that includes all carpet pull and all trim installed too.
laminate is usually 1.75

Old 11-16-08, 07:36 PM
Use the new cork to go around the perimeter, in a border, to fix the tackstrip damage, and give it a custom look.