Understanding Laminate Terms and Installation....

Old 11-17-08, 12:04 PM
Question Understanding Laminate Terms and Installation....

A few things need clarification.

When reading about Laminate Flooring, I read the phrase "The floor may fail". ....what does this mean?

I'm having a devil of a time installing a laminate floor. I worked for 4 hours and installed only about 10 planks. The problem seems to come into play in 'sliding' the plants together at the ends. It seems to take forever. Is there a shortcut someone knows of? I have all the tools, the pull bar, dead blow hammer, etc.

What happens if the floor is not touching the walls, but one plank ends up touching. Will this cause the floor to 'fail'?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-08, 01:47 PM
Read and follow manufacturer's instructions carefully for subfloor prep, vapor retarder, underlayment, installation, and care and maintenance. If these instructions are not followed, there can be floor failure and warranty voided.

There is a recommended expansion gap around the perimeter of the room to accommodate expansion and contraction. This is usually maintained by the use of spacers during installation. Flooring should not touch the wall or baseboard. It needs room to expand.

Failure to prepare subfloor to assure that it is flat can result in high and low spots that can cause planks to separate, squeak, etc. Failure to use recommended vapor retarder can cause flooring to buckle or cup or crown. Failure to maintain temperature year round at around 70 degrees and humidity at 35-55% can result in failure. Failure to properly install per instructions can result in failure, as can improper care and maintenance.

If you share what product you are installing, someone here will likely share some tips for better installation. I am assuming that you are installing a floating floor?

Old 11-18-08, 02:33 AM
What happens if the floor is not touching the walls, but one plank ends up touching. Will this cause the floor to 'fail'?

You need a 1/4 expansion joint , the floor is going to move its not a matter of when but how much will it move.Mine has been down 3 weeks and i can see where its moved some allready. Where you have T molding or other type of trim pieces requiring a track you need anywhere from a 1/2 inch to 1 inch .The track itself is 1/4 to 1/2 inch with most products . Your better off to make sure you follow all the guidlines .
There are alot of howto videos hdtv_player
Laminate Videos - Metacafe

Old 11-18-08, 08:25 AM
Fail means, did not acheive. Lacking. Will not pass. With laminate, it means separation, swelled edges, buckling, or noises as you walk on it.

Sounds like your trying to install a rotating lock, as a tap tight, on the ends. Do you have the right tapping block, and wall spacers??

Old 11-18-08, 08:25 AM
Fail means, did not acheive. Lacking. Will not pass. With laminate, it means separation, swelled edges, buckling, or noises as you walk on it.

Sounds like your trying to install a rotating lock, as a tap tight, on the ends. Do you have the right tapping block, and wall spacers??