A couple of questions about stair tread staining and sealing

Old 11-18-08, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions about stair tread staining and sealing

I'm in the process of finishing up the project from H**L. Long story short, we finally began staining our stairway over the weekend. We've put two coats of Mahogany Red stain over oak treads. Waited 6-8 hours before walking on them. Staying off of the stairs for more than several hours is not an option. They were dry to the touch but still a little tacky. My wife says that they must be completely dry before sealing, which makes sense. However, that's lead to some shoe markings (our son forgot to remove them before heading upstairs). Here are the questions:

1 - Does the stain need to be completely dry before sealing? (It's been a couple of days since the last coat, and it's still a little tacky.)

2- How do I remove the shoe prints without having to re-sand the treads back to bare wood?

3- I bought the fast drying high gloss polyurethane, and figured it would take 4 -5 coats. Is this the best type of urethane to use?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-08, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
#1 - no but it can be tricky to apply the poly if the stain isn't good and dry! What happens is the solvents in the poly can rewet the stain and then as you are brushing - you are moving the stain around. While I've sprayed the sealer on lots of wood a minute or so after the stain was wiped, I rarely ever brush over wet stain. You have to be very carefull that any stain that gets displaced, gets redistrubed correctly.

#2 - you might be able to take a rag and buff them out. If that doesn't work a rag damp with stain may do the trick. paint thinner will remove it but it may be a little challenging to get the stain back to the correct color.

#3 - should be fine

Generally it is best to use only 1 coat of stain. Penetrating stains are formulated for the excesss to be removed and rely partly on obsorbtion to dry.The 1st coat seals the wood so it's difficult for the 2nd coat to dry.