New Hardwood install cold weather

Old 11-19-08, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Hardwood install cold weather

Hello All, Thanks for the site. I am getting ready to install 3/4" T&G hardwood in my dining room and living room. The wood is Brazilian Cherry prefinished from LL. I opened a box of it on receipt and laid it out on the family room floor. With the exception of a few bad colored boards, it looks pretty good. It fits together nicely and the wife likes it a lot. I've added a 3/8 layer of BC plywood over the 5/8 SF in the two rooms that are to be floored. I have a few questions on moisture content. The wood has been acclimating in the rooms since last Tuesday. I repackaged the box I opened, and opened the ends of the remaining boxes. I've measured the MC of a few random pieces of flooring and the content is currently 7%. The moisture content of the floor itself is at 6% (the new 3/8 subfloor). This is the lowest measure on my meter. The MC inside the house is currently 30%. Am I too dry? I would like to floor on Friday. I have a whole house humidifier and can adjust to a higher setting if need be. Also, I've heard that this flooring has a tendency to split when using a pneumatic stapler. I have a Bostitch MIII with 2" staples. What's a good compressor setting to start with? How about spacing? Also, I have a tile floor that this floor will meet up with in several doorways. I've checked the height of the wood flooring and it looks like It will be flush with the tile. I currently have T-mold to make this transition, but I don't like the speed bump appearance. Is there another retail product that I can use that doesn't look like this? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 08:10 AM
Patrick,
I can't speak to whether your moisture is too low or too high, but in my research I think your subfloor moisture content is below the minimum MC for installing the hardwoods. (a good thing.)

As far as the t-moldings, I can't stand them either. What I did last night on my project was cut a piece of the hardwood plank (nominally 3-3/4") down to 1-3/4" and used it as my transition piece. The two floors are flush with another and this piece in the middle sits flush as well but provides a nice finished look to the floor meeting the tile.

Old 11-20-08, 03:51 PM
Temp should be at about 70 degrees. Humidity should be at 35-55%. Maintain these levels year round. Allow wood to acclimate in rooms where it is to be installed. If 2 1/4" strip there should be no greater difference in moisture content of wood subfloor and flooring than 4%. If plank, no greater than 2% difference.

Old 11-23-08, 08:33 PM
Are you running the heater? Are you into your heating season?
What region in the USA are you in?? I can give you the average MC of your region and shoot for it.

If you install the wood "tight" now, and the humidity during the summers gets to 45-50% during the spring and summers, you may have some compression cupping, or buckling.

Old 11-23-08, 08:33 PM
Are you running the heater? Are you into your heating season?
What region in the USA are you in?? I can give you the average MC of your region and shoot for it.

If you install the wood "tight" now, and the humidity during the summers gets to 45-50% during the spring and summers, you may have some compression cupping, or buckling.