Hardwood Installation

Old 11-20-08, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hardwood Installation

I am installing hardwood in my home. It is a 1940 house with real 2x10 fir joists with 1x8's running diagonally and then 3/4 fir hardwood flooring. The old flooring is in good shape but it does creek a little when walking over it. So what is my best option, nail the crap out of the flooring or remove the old flooring and install tongue and groove OSB. I believe both are satisfactory but I want to do it right. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 02:27 PM
Hello

Not sure what you plan to do, but my mom has the same 1940's subfloor in her house and the squeaking is awful. I guess it just depends if you want to use the squeaking as an alarm that your teens are sneaking out at night. Good Luck.

Old 11-20-08, 03:05 PM
If joists are accessible from below, you can have someone walk around on floor to identify squeaks while you shim between subfloor and joists below.

Old 11-21-08, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the creaking is coming from the old hardwood floor and not the boards laying under it on the joists. Has anyone tried nailing the old hardwood with ring nails with success? Thinking of trying that but finding the joists through 1 1/2 inch floor will be difficult to say the least.