Laminate floor installation

Old 11-27-08, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor installation

This is my first try at this and it was going well until the third row of laminate. When I tap in the board to close the seam it causes the second row to back out and separate at the closest seam and even the first row. When I go to the second row and try to fix it then it separates on either the first row or the third. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 08:17 PM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is, you must be trying to put too much of the first rows together at a time. The first three rows are critical to the outcome of the overall project. They need to be installed together and not one row at a time. Get all three going at the same time with a sort of stair step and continue until they are done the full length of the room, whichever direction you chose to go. If you try to put one row together the full length, then another, then another, you'll get a fulcrum effect and will end up with the problem you describe. Do all three rows together so they will tend to stabilize each other as you proceed. Once the first three rows are done, you can do one row at a time if you want to. I prefer to keep a stairstep going for extra stability.

Old 11-28-08, 11:40 AM
Laminate installation

Thank you for your reply.

That was the case at first but when it started coming apart I took the first two rows apart back to the plank where the seam was separating and started doing the stair step method and it still did the same but not as severe. I started the fourth row and it seemed to help some. Will see how this afternoon goes. Any other suggestions in the meantime?

Old 11-28-08, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start in the middle

I generally start in the middle and work out to the walls. To start I fasten a straight edge (usually a 1x4) to the middle of yhe room. I use a string line to make sure they are straight. Then I install against it. When I get to the wall I put in my spacers, remove the straight edge and install the other way.

Old 11-28-08, 12:12 PM
I remember that feeling of one step forward and two back, when I did it.

What seemed to help me were two pairs of hands, patience and standing on the boards you are connecting to.

Good luck!