Transition: laminate to carpet

Old 11-30-08, 05:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Transition: laminate to carpet

I am laying laminate floors in my daughters bedroom. The transition occurs as it goes out to the hallway and becomes carpet. I know I need to use a T-molding at the transition but do I need to lay a tack strip down to edge off the carpet or does the carpet tuck under the T-molding or both?

Old 11-30-08, 07:41 PM
K
Unhappy

Can anyone help me? I am stuck!:

Old 12-01-08, 07:38 AM
C
When I did mine, I tucked the carpet under the T-moulding. It looks ok, but the carpet tends to lift up the T-moulding. I prob would have been better off doing what the instructions say. Trim the carpet, and put down a tack strip against the T-moulding. Use the bullnose edge of the t-moulding and have it right up against the edge of the newly-tacked carpet.

Old 12-01-08, 09:35 AM
R
Where my Laminate transitions to carpet, the carpet is tucked under the T-molding. I considered stapling the carpet down where it tucks under the molding, but so far I haven't had any problems with the carpet or the T lifting. The tack strips on the sides are cut just to the edge of where the T-molding is, so I doubt the carpet will lift any. The T sits flush on the laminate, and pretty level with the carpet. It turned out better than I expected.

BTW, I have 3 different places that transition from Laminate to carpet, and all done the same way. So far, so good!

edit: I did cut the pad back a little more, so that only the carpet tucks under the T.

Last edited by Rider12; 12-01-08 at 09:49 AM. Reason: left out small detail
Old 12-11-08, 07:07 PM
N
Rider 12, do you have pictures?

I also have 3 places where I need a transition from laminate wood flooring to carpet. My husband and I are building our first house, but we hired all the work done, and a T-molding was not used. Instead a big piece of trim, and I mean a big piece was air-nailed to the laminate. It is 1 inch thick on top of the laminate and 3 inches wide. Thinking about trying to tear that up and do a T-molding myself. Anyways...curious how you got the T-molding flush with your laminate. Do you have pictures?

Old 12-12-08, 07:53 AM
R
Originally Posted by nataliet View Post
I also have 3 places where I need a transition from laminate wood flooring to carpet. My husband and I are building our first house, but we hired all the work done, and a T-molding was not used. Instead a big piece of trim, and I mean a big piece was air-nailed to the laminate. It is 1 inch thick on top of the laminate and 3 inches wide. Thinking about trying to tear that up and do a T-molding myself. Anyways...curious how you got the T-molding flush with your laminate. Do you have pictures?
I think you misunderstood, or I worded things wrong. The T sits flush on the laminate, not that it is flush with the laminate, it is flush with the carpet since we tucked it under the T. It definately is not an inch thick on top of it. I was worried about it being a problem area that someone could trip over..Not at all the case.

What we used was the "FasTrim" , it comes with reducers, end molding, etc. Although we didn't use these extra peices.

Here is a link to what we used:
FasTrim® Evolution | Five Solutions. One Easy System(R). Molding

I'm not sure how to attach a pic, but I will if i can figure it out.

Last edited by Rider12; 12-12-08 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 12-12-08, 08:53 AM
hi,
you do need to use a piece of tack strip. lay it about 3/8 to 1/2 back from the end moulding or T moulding. either way you'll need to use the tack strip. it will make the carpet at about the same level as the laminate flooring. make sure to stretch carpet into the tack strip and tuck it in the area between the end cap and tack strip. also make sure to take a hammer or tucking tool to ping the tack strip nails over or they could poke your bare feet and the carpet could possibly come out. hope this help's you. happy holidays. make sure you make the transition under where the door would be when closed .that way it look's best.

Old 12-12-08, 03:47 PM
First off, T molding is the wrong molding to use with carpet. Laminate transition pieces are not that strong, and the part of the T that is over the carpet is not supported well with a hard surface under it, causing it to crack or break off on the carpet side.

A carpet end cap is what is specified. Its profile is like a L, turned on it side.

Tack strip is used to keep the carpet stretched. Carpet will wrinkle, buckle up and eventually delaminate, if it is not evenly stretched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: