Underlayments for Wood Floors - Help!

Old 12-03-08, 08:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Underlayments for Wood Floors - Help!

I have a home built in 1920 that has 1" heart pine plank flooring, that I will be laying 3/8" plywood over to level it as there are a LOT of imperfections in it. On top of this I will be laying 3/4" Brazilian Teak hardwoods that I will be nailing or stapling (haven't decided which yet). The installation is above grade.

I am still concerned about being absolutely level from subfloor panel to subfloor panel and am wondering if I should use an underlayment, like an 1/8 foam or another material under my hardwood floors. Will this help or hurt me in any way? It seems a thin layer would help even things out more, and may help speed up the install process.

Is this a good or bad idea?

-Corey

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 12-03-08 at 03:09 PM. Reason: No BLOGGING links please.
Old 12-10-08, 12:27 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike

Hi Corey,
It's a bad idea to involve the use of underlay since you are nailing/Glue the solid timber to the plywood, the underlay is use for floating floor only.
Since the sub-floor is the foundation of your floor, its a good idea to do it right or you just waste your time and money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: