Caulking over shoe molding?

Old 12-07-08, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking over shoe molding?

To install a surround sound stereo system in my living room, I stuffed the stereo wire under the shoe molding. By prying the molding up a bit, it appears I've now let in a tiny leak of cold air. I'm worried that if I pull the molding all the way up and caulk where the floor meets the wall, I'll end up cracking the floor when the wood expands/contracts. But if I caulk just the top of the molding, air will then come in through the bottom of the molding. Any advice (besides going wireless or tacking the stereo wire to the wall)?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use a latex based or preferably latex silicone blended caulking it will flex with expansion and contraction and the flooring will not have any damage.You could also use pure silicone but it costs more and is harder to use and wouldn't do the job any better.Most caulks are flexible.If you don't want to permanently caulk in the moulding you can use roll caulking which is a nonpermanent formed putty in a roll that acts like caulk but is easily removed,reused and does not stick to things like moulding,wires etc.You could form it to however wide it needs to be to fill and seal and remove it later if needed.

Old 12-07-08, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
If you are leary of getting a nice clean line with the white caulk against the flooring, you might try a clear latex silicone. It goes on milky but dries clear...... but you still want to do a neat job, it just might be easier with clear.

I agree that there probably won't be enough movement to be an issue with a quality latex caulk.