Nailing close to a wall

Old 12-07-08, 07:41 PM
Nailing close to a wall

Could anyone w/ experience tell me the trick to nailing in the last few rows of hardwood flooring next to a wall? I have tried using an air brad nailer, but the nails are 18 gauge and are thin and when they don’t go in all the way, they can not be driven in w/ a nail set (because they bend). When I try pre-drilling the hardwood and hand driving brads at an angle through the tongue they are very hard to nail because of the angle given they’re so close to the wall. What method is traditionally used?

Thanks for any input…

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use my Senco pin nailer, it goes right thru 3/4" Oak and Pergo.

Old 12-08-08, 02:22 AM
I hand nail the rows that I can't use my manual Porta-Nailer floor nailer then drill holes in the tongue and hand nail them. The trick is to find the right size drill bit for the nail. Too small and the nail will bend on you, too big and it will not hold. The last 3 rows of floor boards I usually face nail them with the floor nailer. Fill the holes with some colored putty to match the stain and they are almost invisible. I'm not a professional but that's how I did it in my home.

Old 12-08-08, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not a pro either but my 16 gauge nail gun does great face nailing oak flooring. Is it possible you don't have the air pressure turned up high enough to drive the pin nails thru the oak?

Old 12-08-08, 06:16 AM
I had my compressor cranked up to 105 psi which is already 5 psi over the rating for the nailer. The issue is that I tried nailing through the tongue at an angle so the tip of the nailer is not exactly flush with the nailing surface which is why they don't always go in all the way.

RE: hrjrkr How face nail w/ a floor nailer that has the
grabbers on it to hug the hardwood? They keep
the nailer about 1/4 inch above the nailing
surface...

Old 12-08-08, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might have better luck face nailing the boards next to the wall. It is no big deal to fill the holes prior to sanding/finishing or putty them if using prefinished.

Old 12-09-08, 04:07 AM
What kind of floor nailer do you have? On mine I change the shoe plate to face nail and change it again to nail in the groove.
If the nails stay up a 1/4 inch bang them flush being careful not to damage the floor and use a punch to set nail.

Old 12-09-08, 06:21 AM
Thanks alot everyone, I guess I just need to pick my poison...

Old 01-02-09, 08:28 PM
Talking no problem

i use a 2 inch 15 guage nail i face nail last three or 4 rows depending on size of wood pull wood tight with molding tool if u cant get it tight enough like that you can use flat shovel to pry tight just be careful of base board and wall...they actually make tool to pull wood on wall its about 200.00 I doubt you want to spend that for one time..but when i face nail last three boards i put 2 nails in all 3 boards about every 16 inches try to nail into joyce if you can. they sell product called Fam-O-Wood its great filler for nail holes and other imperfections

Good luck

Lee