Laminate and hot water radiators

Old 12-09-08, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate and hot water radiators

I recently purchased an older home with hot water radiator heating. I want to install laminate flooring and wanted to know the best way to go about this. I would assume it entails disconnecting the radiators. I have a general idea of how to disconnect the radiators but wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions and what to expect if I need to disconnect them. I thought about trying to elevate the radiators form the cellar, but there isn't enough play to do so.

Also, it is winter here in Upstate New York so the heat is on.

Thanks for everyone's help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-08, 12:24 PM
You don't have to mess with the radiators. You cut out a notch that allows you to simply slip the plank under the radiator. The notch is cut 1/4" wider than the pipe to allow for expansion gap. Then, you trim the notched out piece to the length to accommodate pipe plus the 1/4" expansion allowance. Glue along edges of piece you notched out and put back where it belongs. Wipe off excess glue.

If expansion gap is visible and bothersome, there are hinged escutcheons available at plumbing supply to cover the gap. These come in various sizes to accommodate pipe size.

Old 12-10-08, 07:04 AM
How would I get the planks under the feet of the radiator though?