laminate floor under built-in dishwasher

Old 12-10-08, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laminate floor under built-in dishwasher

I have been told not to install a Pergo-type laminate floor underneath a dishwasher because DW don't float since they are attached to the cabinets and potential water damage if the DW leaks. As an alternative I plan to install a piece of 3/8" cement board under the dishwasher as opposed to Pergo. This will be about 1/16" higher than the 8mm Pergo flooring. Then I will seal the gap where Pergo meets the cement board with a silicon caulk. Does this sound like a viable solution? I am using 3/8" cement board (higher than the Pergo) as opposed to 1/4" (lower than the Pergo)to prevent the DW from becoming locked in the space. Has anyone else done this? The space for the dishwasher is the standard 24" wide. Does anyone know how deep I need to make the cement board. I am currently using a portable DW and I am sure the casters on that are positioned differently than the feet on a built-in. I haven't been able to find this info on any of the manufacturer's spec sheets for DW. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 12:28 PM
only up to legs of dishwasher

not a good idea to put laminate under dishwasher or cement board for that matter. I've installed laminate flooring for 5 years and have alway's put the laminate almost up to the front leg's. that way you can get dishwasher out if and when needed. I'd put a heavy bead of silicone based caulking around all edges in the dishwasher area and in all along front of sink or any where there might be a water leak. hope this help's you . happy holiday's

Old 12-10-08, 02:31 PM
When installing the laminate in the kitchen, we took the front plate off the bottom of the dishwasher. The plan was to just run the laminate to the front legs, but looked like it was going to block the dishwasher in. We were able to screw in the front legs with the dishwasher in place, and ran the laminate back under the front legs. Ran a bead of silicone under the dishwasher, set the legs to sit on the laminate, and replaced and adjusted the front plate.