Damage to Concrete when Removing Parquet with Cork Underlayment

Old 12-10-08, 12:29 PM
Unhappy Damage to Concrete when Removing Parquet with Cork Underlayment

Hello,

I live in a condo that was converted from an old factory in Chicago in the 90s. The developer laid 1/4" cork underlayment over concrete before installing parquet wood tiles.

It looks to me that the concrete wasn't mixed correctly or not allowed to cure properly before they installed the underlayment. I am now ripping up the dated parquet floor to install bamboo and a small layer of concrete (about 1/16") is ripping up along with the underlayment.

I will be installing a new layer of 1/4" cork underlayment as this is required by our condo for sound protection in such an old building. I read that as long as the floor is within 1/8" of being level, cork can be applied. Can I apply directly to this damaged surface?

I realize that it would be ideal to have someone install a self leveling Ardex-type material, but that would be expensive and a mess in a condo.

Any ideas? I'm a DIY'er who didn't expect such a mess!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 12:43 PM
hi,
Using a self leveling ardex floor filler is not messy. I would recommend that you do that before you put your underlayment down. But don't use fix-all at all as it will alway's break out and will cause you problem's in the future.

Old 12-10-08, 01:21 PM
Any ideas for removing the parquet tile without removing the cork underlayment? Or for removing the cork without damaging the concrete?

I've just started the old floor removal and would like to prevent having to repair 1,000 sq ft of concrete!

Old 12-10-08, 03:12 PM
Sounds like someone tried to skimcoat a polished concrete floor, and it came up with the adhesive removal.