Removing tile over plywood

Old 12-13-08, 06:55 PM
Removing tile over plywood

We are in the process of installing hardwood. We had tile and started to remove it. We found that the tile was cemented over some sort of plywood, which is over the subfloor. In the kitchen the cabinets were laid over this tile/plywood floor. How do I remove the plywood floor without disturbing the cabinets?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-08, 08:05 PM
I would susggest pulling the cabinets, executing the hardwood installation, reinstall cabinets. Not that difficult. In order to work around the cabinets, you will need to either run your hardwood around the cabinets; not advisable as it will leave you with a 3/4" water trap under the cabinet run (and your dishwasher, if you have one, may not be easily accessed for service}, or, attempting to make a flush cut at the kick plate of the cabinet -- a difficult task at the least, and, resulting in a situation requiring you to run the hardwood directly on top of the framing (after removing all of the existing subfloor from the room, up to your flush cut at the cabinet), another unpleasant, and, in my opinion, unnecessary task.

Summation: Pull the cabinets.

Steve

Old 12-13-08, 08:12 PM
While there are some uninformed DIYers and unprofessionals who do not install tile over CUB (concrete underlayment board). Sure wish CUB and proper tile and grout installation occurred in my rental. Crumbling grout and crackled tile and grout and no $$ to do anything about it.

If you are installing a hardwood product, it is important to follow maufacturer's instructions for subfloor prep, acclimation, and installation. Subfloor prep and acclimation are crucial in order not to void warranties If installing tile over concrete, that's another game, depending on above or below grade Follow manufacturer's instructions.