Covering damaged stair Risers?

Old 12-16-08, 04:35 PM
Question Covering damaged stair Risers?

I'm looking for some professional opinions...

Is it common to cover badly marked Stair Risers with 1/4 or 1/2 inch wood to save hours of work filling sanding and refinishing?

If so would pine be ok to use? The Risers will be painted so I hate to spend the money on oak.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 09:17 PM
How did risers get so badly damaged? Combat boots? Steel-toed shoes? Pine would not withstand such abuse.

I guess one could cover over risers with 1/4" plywood and prime/seal and paint. Pine is a very soft wood as are most conifer woods. Birch is much harder than pine.

Check out the Janka Scale for hardness of wood species: Janka Hardness Scale For Wood Flooring Species

One option is to simply sand, stain, and seal, or sand and seal. Many prefer a distressed look and lots of character. Of course, it depends on how casual or formal your decor.

Old 12-17-08, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How bad is the damage? it might be less work to repair what you have then prime and paint. If you laminate over the risers, you will need to prime and apply 2 coats of enamel, the last coat must be applied after installation.... plus caulking and putty. It will also require precision measuring/cutting to make sure the plywood will fit neatly and look original.

Almost every new set of stairs I've painted the risers on, used pine, poplar or plywood for the risers. I think painted risers look sharp but they do show dirt or scuff marks more than a stained/poly riser does. I don't remember repainting any that had much damage.

Old 12-17-08, 10:15 AM
Checkout this, I found for stair risers...

One Step Beyond - Hardwood Decorative Stair Risers - Stair Design

I thought it was a neat idea, you could cut and do yourself as a custom look to your risers.