Need advice on type of floor and type of installation

Old 12-16-08, 07:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on type of floor and type of installation

Still trying to get our house back together after Hurricane Ike.

We are going to replace the carpet and I have been shopping for floor. It has been a very frustrating experience because every store and every contractor tells me something different.

Hopefully, someone here can help me decide.:

I live in Houston and have a concrete slab. I have one 17 yo son and a black Lab. Lab is outside mostly and crated at night. Application is for living and possibly bedrooms.

I really like the looks of wood but do not want to install a sub floor.

One contractor recommened 3/8 inch hardwood glued down. I gather from comments here that it would not be a good choice.

One contractor recommended Engineered, again glued down. A second recommended to float it.

I would also consider laminate - I am looking at a 12 mm with beveled edges. Lumber Liquidators were pushing the laminate.

At this point I am obssessed with trying to figure out the right way to go. With any of these, I will hire somone to do the install - I won't attempt this myself.

I would appreciate pros, cons and actual experience in a similar application/climate. At this point my head may explode from over thinking it

Old 12-16-08, 08:03 PM
Smile

Welcome to diy,
I've installed flooring for many year's and I'm sure you've been told many different opinion's to use. I will add mine too lol. Personally I would install laminate flooring. Very durable and has a very hard surface. being's that you have a dog it won't tear it up with it's claw's. If you have a hardwood install you'll have scratch marks on it in no time. Hardwood really isn't that hard and can get scratch's pretty easy. Good luck and hope you have a happy holiday season

Old 12-16-08, 10:09 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laminate comes highly recommended for active household with kids and pets. There are floating products that make it easy for the DIYer over concrete. Most major manufacturers offer good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price. Better and best levels offer thicker finish and additives that make the flooring more scratch resistant and more moisture resistant subtrate materials. Buy the best your budget will allow. Follow instructions carefully for subfloor prep, acclimation, vapor retarder, underlayment, installation, and care/maintenance in order to avoid voiding warranties.

Old 12-17-08, 10:10 AM
Go to Cosco, and look at the Harmonics Laminate. Nice stuff, especially the handscraped looks.

The dogs toe nails will give a real wood surface a lot of character, real quickly. You will drive yourself nuts trying to keep real wood pristine, because it isn't cheap, by any means.

Old 12-17-08, 07:33 PM
C
Thanks

I am gathering that Laminate would be the recommended flooring and I am trying to convince myself of that - I am trying to find one that I like as well as the Koa & Tigerwood Hardwood and engineered. I really like the Armstrong Grand Illusions and Bruce Parkvale. Will the smooth polished type finishes hold up?

The Engineered Floor has 7-8 layers of aluminum oxide as a finish. Isn't this the same as what is used on the Laminate to make it hard?

I will check out Costco. DD has a membership & will be home over Christmas (I belong to Sam's Club)

Old 12-18-08, 06:40 AM
If you look long enough, you will find that laminate, that looks just like real wood, and not that fake look.

In a busy household and a home owner that has never had wood floors before, long term expectations are seldom met. A big expense getting all scratched and dented, makes them feel buyers remorse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: