Laminate Floor Around Brick Hearth

Old 12-17-08, 04:37 PM
Laminate Floor Around Brick Hearth

Hello, I have a question I hope some of you experts can answer. I am going to be installing a floating laminate floor in my living room next weekend. Before then I am trying to get all my ducks in a row so there are no surprises. The room is fairly square with one entrance into the kitchen and one closet. My question is about my fireplace. I have a semi circle raised brick hearth. I have been reading the differant forums and the fixes range from undercutting the brick to using caulk, neither of wich I really like. What I wanted to do was put some ceramic tile down in front of the hearth that way the floor has something square to butt up against and use transtiton molding arould the tile. From what I have read its not best to put tile directly onto the subfloor. I dont mind installing some cement board but I am afraid that by the time I get the cement board down plus the tile it will be so much higher than the floor and will look bad. My question is would it hurt to install the tile onto the sub floor since I am only going to be using about 6-8 12x12 tiles. There wont really be any traffic over it. What do you think. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not undercut the brick? You can rent the saw from HD or Lowes and have it done within 20 mins. Installing tile will take alot longer. It's not the traffic you should worry about if installing tile to the subfloor, it's the subfloor expanding and contracting that you will have issues with.

Old 12-17-08, 11:11 PM
The pros undercut the hearth. That way you get a professional looking job. Installing tile and molding will give you a tacky looking job.