What type of Floor can I install

Old 01-01-09, 12:34 PM
What type of Floor can I install

I'm building a seasonal home in NW New York (Cabin). The winters are cold and the summers are mild. I'm putting in a Radiant Heat system, but as the house is seasonal, I do not have plans to heat it when i am not there and we don't use it much in the winter (or we use a wood burning stove). I was speaking with a friend and he said that I should not put in 3/4" solid hardwood because with the Radiant heat, fluctuations in temperature as the house is not heated, that the floor will expand and contract will ultimatly be an issue. He suggested an engineered floor or a laminate floor.

Any thoughts - is there any validity to this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 01:30 PM
Flooring materials expand and contract as temperature and humidity fluctuate. Although engineered wood is more dimensionally stable than solid wood, there is still expansion and contraction, thus the need for expansion gaps. If home is to reach extremely cold temps in winter, perhaps a frost proof tile that is used outdoors would be a better option.

Old 01-01-09, 03:36 PM
i would befriend the locals, and ask them what works/doesn't work.

Old 01-01-09, 10:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with the previous post that recommended a ceramic tile that would be used outdoors. Porcelain would be best. Here is a link to more info about NO ADVERTISING!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-02-09 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.